Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use google earth, if i am able to see all the lawn areas clearly and get a street view i usually can get a good estimate on mowing, or lawn treatments. anything else and i have to go look. There is no way i'm gonna drive to every estimate now. out of the 20 to 30 calls a week i've been getting its mostly people wasting my time anyways. I ask a few questions and quickly come up with a decision if its something worth riding out too look at. I just want to cut my miles down a bit. It works great for me now, but yeah mabee treading some dangerous territory.. lol. I use my best judgement. However, i let them know the price for lawn mowing is based on the area to be mowed, any degree of difficulty could raise the price some. I've never had a problem with it, yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Member

The Reason behind google maps, There are lots of people post things on craigslist and such. They want a quote now. I would like to quick estimator, however i do tell them this is an estimate. I want to take best care of all my customers, but if i need to do something to the lawn this week that didnt need done last week. shouldnt i charge more?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I find most customers I have landed were really impressed by my willingness and promptness to go bid a job. If I get a call... I usually try to be on that site within a few hrs. Yes I stay very busy, but it is my job to land jobs and the crews job to cut them. I know a smaller operation may not be as flexible, but even then .. I would schedule the site visits for the evening hrs. I have used google on commercial sites.. and some residential, but will never tell a residential "this is the price".. I always stress any guesstimate without a site visit is a ballpark number and is subject to change. As far as formulas or how to price... man it is just in your cost.. here I run half acre lots... or turf ranging from 15k to 22k , for around 50-60 each. So when I google a lot... I can compare my estimates to my know price structure.... make sense??
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuddy View Post
The Reason behind google maps, There are lots of people post things on craigslist and such. They want a quote now. I would like to quick estimator, however i do tell them this is an estimate. I want to take best care of all my customers, but if i need to do something to the lawn this week that didnt need done last week. shouldnt i charge more?
The problem you run into is most people want one price, we're full service so we bid all our accounts for all inclusive IE: bed work, shrub trimming etc etc! that way the customer doesn't get one bill one month and a higher bill the next, that irritates most people, they get the same bill every month, unless there is something like a mulch install, or a project that has material cost involved. Just come up with a set of qualifying questions to ask when people call to cut down on "junk calls". Use google maps to get an idea of the area they live in so you'll know if they are an account that you want to pursue.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Could you elaborate re: qualifying questions? Please give examples
Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

No disrespect

but why in the world would you think you should charge more because it takes longer to mow their lawn with a 25" mower? If you want to represent yourself as a professional, get professional equipment. No, not Murray or MTD.