Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

The baffle design is done with the mounting flange on the outside to limit the amount of surfaces that grass can build up on inside the shell. When you removed the baffle what blades were in the deck? For the scenario of increasing the pitch raising the back will have less of an effect on the front cut height or drop the front and then remove one spacer from the blade spacing to tuck the blade up in the deck. The blade spacing is more critical when the baffle is in place but with it removed you have more freedom on the blade spacing.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've had the baffle removed with both high lift and the gator G5 blades. also increased pitch to 3/8'', blowout was still very bad, and neither blade made a difference in that. with the baffle in, blowout is gone. the cut quality is good whether or not the baffle is in place, but it discharges much better without it. i'd be a real happy camper if i could figure out how to get rid of the blowout with the baffle off at least for the spring and leaf cleanup seasons. any moisture at all or extremely thick lawns it tends to clump pretty bad, and in the spring its hard to get dry grass around here.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Sponsor

kawakx125,

Since the restriction of the baffle is gone try the stock blade to see how much it reduces the blow out, the high lifts will definitely create worse blowout now that the baffle is out.

Best Regards
Wright Mfg.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the baffle back in right now and all was going well until I attempted cutting my own lawn which is very thick. my next route will give me a good variety of lawns so i will take some different blades and experiment, as much as i hate doing that on a customers lawn i have one that is perfect for that as her front yard is treated and very nice, and the backyard is a mix of grass/weeds and generally gets pretty tall.

as far as the blades go, i say they are high lifts, but they might just be standard lift. they are a scag blade p/n 482878. i have some oher scag blades p/n 481711 that are most definitely high lift, but i was under the impression that they have a high lift and an extra high lift. not 100% sure which is which, haven't been able to find any description of them anywhere online. the 482878 was recommended to me by another stander X owner so i gave them a try. they look to have a slightly taller wing than factory blades so thats why i called them a high lift
Old 05-08-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I've got the baffle back in right now and all was going well until I attempted cutting my own lawn which is very thick. my next route will give me a good variety of lawns so i will take some different blades and experiment, as much as i hate doing that on a customers lawn i have one that is perfect for that as her front yard is treated and very nice, and the backyard is a mix of grass/weeds and generally gets pretty tall.

as far as the blades go, i say they are high lifts, but they might just be standard lift. they are a scag blade p/n 482878. i have some oher scag blades p/n 481711 that are most definitely high lift, but i was under the impression that they have a high lift and an extra high lift. not 100% sure which is which, haven't been able to find any description of them anywhere online. the 482878 was recommended to me by another stander X owner so i gave them a try. they look to have a slightly taller wing than factory blades so thats why i called them a high lift
I'm looking at getting the scag hi-lifts or a direct replacement since I can't find scag blades anywhere.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

thinking about these. Oregon 91-623 BLADE SCAG 18IN HIGH LIFT for OEM 481711. Oregons replacement for 482878 is 91-637 and doesn't describe them as hi lift.

Last edited by Cut It Close; 05-08-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have to go to either a scag dealer, or order them online. mowpart.com sells oem scag blades, along with several others. they are more pricey, but worth it as they are lighter, stronger, and harder than other blades. they stay sharp FOREVER! i'm not kidding on that. I will say this about the 481711, i do believe it to be an ''extra high lift'' blade, the wings are nearly vertical. I have found on my 36 that they will have more a tendency to clump in long or wet conditions. Wright pointed this out to me. I have not tried them on my 52 because i only have 2 of those. the 482878 cuts very well, and is definitely higher lift than the factory blades. i've also had good luck with the oregon G5 blades on it, believe the part number to be 596-344.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I need to adjust the pitch on my 52 RH. But I need to try new blades for better clipping dispersal and cut. the stock blades are not getting it done. I want to try the scag blades. Not sure if I should go with 482878 or 481711. mowpart site is down right now for some reason. My 36" stander fixed deck cuts fine with stock blades and leaves a better cut overall than my 52RH.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

by the way how do I go about adjusting deck pitch on the 2009 52" RH? Is it this screw?
Attached Images

Old 05-09-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes, remove that bolt and put in a different hole, if i remember right my 36'' rh the lowest hole drops front of deck. there are 2 of those brackets, do both sides. what is your pitch at currently? pm me your phone number and tomorrow i will try and take a picture of the blades side by side so you can see. i will warn you though that the 711 blade is much more prone to clumping. also, for whatever reason everyone says the RH's dont cut nearly as well as fixed deck. makes no sense to me