Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2013, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLS-Tx View Post
anyone else agree with that the ferris seat is better than the Michigan?? If it is that's what i will get.
Yes I agree the new ferris seat is nice... Good soft seat with good back support..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
Yes I agree the new ferris seat is nice... Good soft seat with good back support..
Posted via Mobile Device
Have you used the Other seat?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the help!!

Should be hear next week. 3100 32hp BB, $12,200 with tax.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Man I like this new mower. Only about 8-10 hrs on it so far but it's doing great.

I wasn't sure about the stock seat with the suspension insert at first, took at little getting used to. After using it for a few days I like it better than the Michigan.

The ICD deck with G6 blades leaves a great cut.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice to hear your happy with the 3100!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah it took me a little bit getting use to the seat as well but much better than Michigan seat. I just love how the cut looks when done. Enjoy the ride
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are u going to play around with the suspension adjustments to find your comfort level ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I demoed the 3100z last week for a day. It had the 32 hp BB but my weeds and grass were not too tall - did cut great even at full speed. I'm trading a older JD 757 54". It is a good mower but wanted a 61" and a softer ride.

The 3100 was so nice I ordered one with the 36hp Vanguard BB. Also ordered the optional seat and will have the machine delivered this afternoon. I cut 5 acres plus and wanted the extra ponies for when I don't get to things as quickly. In addition to grass I do have weed areas that can get out of control. Today/tomorrow will be a good test as things have grown a lot and I was keeping the JD clean for the trade in. I think the prices mentioned earlier are in the ball park. You can always ask for extra set of blades, optional seat in the deal. My dealer is willing to pick up machine in fall for maintenance and deliver, and close by. Your dealer will be a deciding factor. Will be interested in any 3100 owners discussing their maintenance plan, etc. I plan to cut at max height first time just to let the engine, belts, etc. get a few hours without a big load.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Was looking up info on the Vanguard engines and it wants to know if vertical or horizontal shaft engine. Is't the Ferris with Vanguard a horizontal shaft?

Think after the 5 hr. break-in I'll switch to a 5-30 synthetic as the manual approves this for all temp ranges and lowest oil consumption. Also advises fuel preservative - not sure if this means just for storage or all the time. I plan to use Sta-bil in all my 5 gal cans even though they will probably be used up in less than a month. Not sure that Sta-bil has any other advantages other than preserving for long term? Any suggestions/opinions on these matters.

Vanguard website also advises fuel of 87/89 or higher but says 91 not necessary. I hear pros and cons on this??
Old 05-23-2013, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Vanguard comes with vertical shaft engines in them. Use regular 87 octane gas. No need for Sta-Bil unless you don't mow for more than a month or two for some reason. Keep a can of Sea-Foam or Star Tron handy. They help deal with ethanol issues and stale fuel. They both clean the carb while you run, and Sea-Foam can be added directly to the oil as well to help clean oil ports and prevent sludge build-up.

No need to take it easy on the engine at first. They are designed to be used by commercial users who don't have time to baby them for a "break-in" period and need to go full bore right off. It won't hurt anything and may actually harm things from inadequate cooling at lower RPM's during break-in because the engine relies on the cooling fan to stay cool and that fan is designed for optimum performance at WOT.

I've yet to have an op's manual for any brand of engine that says to run them at less than WOT for break-in.