Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The main thing that we need for Springtime seeding is PATIENCE... these are living organisms requiring living conditions that really have NOTHING to do with what our opinions, thoughts or feelings about what they should do...
Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

oh i know...i just thought previously that i had planted them wayyy to early or something. like i said earlier, last weekend was 0 signs of germination and this weekend were some signs of germination. i highly doubt ALL this seed will take, maybe it will, but im not gonna get my hopes up. i still need to find a better way to prepare the rest of this soil though or else im gonna wear myself down to nothing.

i need opinions or idea on a better way to prepare this ground for seeding. i can rent or borrow tillers, i can use the dethatcher on my lawn mower, i bought a hand "rotary cultivator" to try out. i just can rake it, the soil ifs far too hard for that.
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The simplest thing for surface culivation is a garden weasel type tool... if the rain is soaking in during a rain, without a lot of puddling, tilling should not be necessary...
remember in the shade not to constantly water and lay of the fertilizer... also,,, you can overseed all summer long, rather than put down CG preventer on your barespots...
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

here is what i picked up....same idea as what you had or no?

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...67-c-13241.htm
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD_Crazed View Post
here is what i picked up....same idea as what you had or no?

http://www.menards.com/main/outdoors...67-c-13241.htm
yep same thing that small axe talking about
Poor mans tiller ,manual labor
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
oh i know...i just thought previously that i had planted them wayyy to early or something. like i said earlier, last weekend was 0 signs of germination and this weekend were some signs of germination. i highly doubt ALL this seed will take, maybe it will, but im not gonna get my hopes up. i still need to find a better way to prepare the rest of this soil though or else im gonna wear myself down to nothing.

i need opinions or idea on a better way to prepare this ground for seeding. i can rent or borrow tillers, i can use the dethatcher on my lawn mower, i bought a hand "rotary cultivator" to try out. i just can rake it, the soil ifs far too hard for that.
Dethatch will work well lower it into the ground I use one in tight areas
Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

With that tool you toss the seed out onto the ground where you want it and then just start rolling over it until the seed disappears in the dirt...
But I wouldn't work the soil deeper(with a detcher)... there only needs to be loosened soil enough to engulf the seed when it rains, so just MIXING the seed into the top inch of soil, then,,,
SOAK it down thoroughly in order to recreate the 'hard pack surface' that will hopefully prevent more erosion...

After that water ONLY when the grassroots are completely dried out and use only a couple pounds of N during the growing season... if you see that it is progressing,,, there will be a temptation to really sock the N to it, but DON'T do it...
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

the "N" ????
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
the "N" ????
Nitrogen Fert.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes,,, Nitrogen... do not put down Nitrogen until Fall when it will be storing up energy for the Winter... once the grass establishes a light dose in Late Spring or Early Summer will be acceptable,,, but what kills the grass in the shade is too much N and too much water... mulch mowing, is also critically important...