Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Okay, I know I'm farther north, and bermuda is basically a weed here, but how in the heck do you cut anything other than a putting green at 1 inch? I would think you would continously be digging dirt at that height.
As I read the thread, I was wondering,

1) what are you cutting with that will drop to 1"?

2) how often do you hit stuff?

Takes a pretty smooth level yard to run a decent size mower under 2" without discharging dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
As I read the thread, I was wondering,

1) what are you cutting with that will drop to 1"?

2) how often do you hit stuff?

Takes a pretty smooth level yard to run a decent size mower under 2" without discharging dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device
He forgot to tell us he's using a 72" mower. LOL
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I'm too busy right now to argue with customers over petty things.
This.. I will dump them in a heartbeat this time of year for this kind of stuff. I am not spending my day arguing with customers.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Okay, I know I'm farther north, and bermuda is basically a weed here, but how in the heck do you cut anything other than a putting green at 1 inch? I would think you would continously be digging dirt at that height.
As someone previously said, a common bermuda lawn can actually benefit from a lower mowing height, because it reduces the amount of hard stems and stolons that take away from the appearance. Because there is less dense growth (only grass blades), if you have imperfections in the lawn surface like dips and high spots, the mower won't bog down when it jumps or hits the low points. However, most rotary mowers can't go that low due to design.

A reel mower cuts grass like butter at 1". It's night and day how much better quality you get from a reel mower compared to a rotary mower. All of my hybrid Bermuda yards (Tif419) I cut are at 9/16"...but they have been sanded and dragged at least once to level them out. They aren't putting green smooth, but level enough that our 25" Tru-Cuts don't bounce around and scalp.

I also have the luxury of owning 2 John Deere triplex greens mowers with 22" reels...each reel weighs about 70 lbs and has front and rear rollers, so after sanding I soak the lawn really well and run the JD over it, reels down but not engaged, to help smooth it out.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
He forgot to tell us he's using a 72" mower. LOL

LOL I did I did, its is a 72 inch deck minus 24 inches. Scag can get down to one inch but I ain't going that low I'll be blowing mud balls and scalping. I'll take it down as low as I can go but I ain't tearing up My equipment for his yard.

Now on his front yard I can take it down to one inch its flat and well established and feels like a yard not a improved cow pasture.

I'll have a meeting with him prior letting him know I wont damage my mowers on his yard he can either say ok or call someone else. I've decided the 85 bucks he pays aint worth the headache.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i think the newer deeres go down to 1". mine is a 2011 and only goes down to 1 1/2" although i checked my deck awhile back and it measured 1/2" lower than what the dial said. i've since adjusted it to be even with what is on the dial setting.

i have no idea why anyone would want to mow at 1" anyways. 1 1/2" is plenty low enough already unless you are actually mowing a golf green on a golf course.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure how busy you are but I would personally want to walk away from this guy. If you need the lawn in your schedule I would give him a blunt honest reply like below.

Hello,

I don't mind cutting your lawn at 1 inch this time of the year because you will promote growth. From experience you will need to cut a minimum of twice a week to maintain that height and if I let it go every eight days I will be cutting much more than 1/3 the blade height which is very unhealthy for your lawn. If you don't want me to cut twice a week I can cut once a week and will have to charge XX more because I'll have to double cut due to the extreme growth.

Please let me know as soon possible if you would like to be on my schedule.

Thanks.

Now this is my reply before he shoots that down. If he shoots it all down I would simply forget about the guy.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I'm not sure how busy you are but I would personally want to walk away from this guy. If you need the lawn in your schedule I would give him a blunt honest reply like below.

Hello,

I don't mind cutting your lawn at 1 inch this time of the year because you will promote growth. From experience you will need to cut a minimum of twice a week to maintain that height and if I let it go every eight days I will be cutting much more than 1/3 the blade height which is very unhealthy for your lawn. If you don't want me to cut twice a week I can cut once a week and will have to charge XX more because I'll have to double cut due to the extreme growth.

Please let me know as soon possible if you would like to be on my schedule.

Thanks.

Now this is my reply before he shoots that down. If he shoots it all down I would simply forget about the guy.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to give a couple of options the last one will be "thanks for the chance to service your property, I hope you find another company that will service your lawn as you want them to.