Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
First of all, how low are you mowing? With what type of mower? Generally, these types of herbicides are applied 5 days before a mowing and 5 after. That is so there is enough leaf area to kill the emerged nutsedge. You also need 12 hours between spraying and the next irrigation for best results. The product labeling will tell you all of this.
Ill take rotary mower and 3" for $1-K Alex!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The excuses for why a large common bermuda lawn cannot be reel mowed no longer hold water. One of my clients with a 1/2 acre bermuda lawn does their mowing with a gang reel towed behind their Kubota utility vehicle. 6 blades per reel and 3 reel assemblies. Lawn is mowed in about 30-45 minutes. When I took it over last year, it was being mowed with a garden tractor. Full of goosegrass and all manner of nameless tropical grassy weeds. Some herbicides, a soil appropriate fertility program and weekly mowing with the gang reel has the lawn looking more like a fairway. In a few weeks these people will be bringing in 20 tons of silica sand to make the lawn smooth after I cut the whole thing down with a carbide saw blade. The gang reel costed less than $1500 with shipping to Hawaii. The garden tractor was about $4000 and it was making the lawn look like shizz.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The excuses for why a large common bermuda lawn cannot be reel mowed no longer hold water. One of my clients with a 1/2 acre bermuda lawn does their mowing with a gang reel towed behind their Kubota utility vehicle. 6 blades per reel and 3 reel assemblies. Lawn is mowed in about 30-45 minutes. When I took it over last year, it was being mowed with a garden tractor. Full of goosegrass and all manner of nameless tropical grassy weeds. Some herbicides, a soil appropriate fertility program and weekly mowing with the gang reel has the lawn looking more like a fairway. In a few weeks these people will be bringing in 20 tons of silica sand to make the lawn smooth after I cut the whole thing down with a carbide saw blade. The gang reel costed less than $1500 with shipping to Hawaii. The garden tractor was about $4000 and it was making the lawn look like shizz.
Yea its frustrating to me. I see people put in zoysia and hybrid bermudas then put a big dixie chopper on the lawn. Then you give a bid for proper maintenance and their head falls off. I wish most of these joke "landdcspers" would find another profession bc they are making it difficult for guys like me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
First of all, how low are you mowing? With what type of mower? Generally, these types of herbicides are applied 5 days before a mowing and 5 after. That is so there is enough leaf area to kill the emerged nutsedge. You also need 12 hours between spraying and the next irrigation for best results. The product labeling will tell you all of this.

I dont cut that much off the grass you still can see the weeds
When i first got this client i used a tru cut front throw reel mower but getting the blades sharpened got to expensive for me and i didnt know where to buy a backlapping machine so i sold it and i now use a honda hrc216 commercial rotary mower do you have to use a front throw reel mower? If so what the reason why
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2013, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The reason why you do not use a rotary mower is because the rotary blades suck up and cut off all the stolons trying to take root. This thins out the lawn, preventing it from getting thick. The rotary mower is also not able to do a clean cut at less than 2". I am a consultant to the C & C parks division. One of the messes I deal with is the soccer parks. They are still not reel mowing the fields, so the bermuda is not quite what it could be. That is in spite of being on a fertilizer program and an extensive herbicide program.

It sounds to me like your reel mower got dull fast. If you took it to your average shop, all they did was spin grind the relief angle off and set the reel for no contact. That is fine to do on a golf green mower where they are only cutting off 1/16" of grass per cut and they have the money to spin grind every week, then replace the reel twice a year. I know of only two shops on the island that will sharpen and set a reel correctly, the rest do the zero contact no relief thing that is not for lawn height bermuda or zoysia.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738