Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
You read that and think my motivation was profit? I was just trying to do her a favor. Attaching a minimal charge to cover fuel (and allow her to keep her dignity). Yeah, I Lowballed myself out of the "job".

I'm thinking it would be more like $95 for HER yard, and another $45 or so to do no mans land. And I typically double that for an initial yard rescue. Yes. I know I was going to completely give my time away to someone in need of help. Thanks for pointing out my flawed business plan.
Posted via Mobile Device
The fact that you were going to do it again made me think that. No need to get offended. I was just stating the obvious. Good for you to help her out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
4.5 acres is a $200-$225 job.

i know you were trying to help out but geez man. $25???

helping out you should've still charged $100-$150.
Yes. $25. Did you read that this was for my wife's best friend? Going through a divorce, having financial trouble. Needing someone to do a job that her ex-husband used to handle. Get it? It's charity work. By charging even just $25, it allows them to feel as though they are "paying you", and not feel like a charity case.

Since I seem to have to explain it all now, I had no idea the first time how big her yard was. And then the whole "we cut that too" (the other 2.5 acres) was out of left field. Didn't see that coming the first time and just did it for her. On this second cut, my plan was to do just her yard. And if she wanted the rest done, it was going to be full retail. It's not even her property.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

why doesn't my lawn look as good as my neighbors when you mow both on the same day
my response was because i mow their lawn the way i think it should be mowed and i mow yours the way you think it should be,this is the second time he's asked me in 4 years and i gave him the same response last time
Old 05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
why doesn't my lawn look as good as my neighbors when you mow both on the same day
my response was because i mow their lawn the way i think it should be mowed and i mow yours the way you think it should be,this is the second time he's asked me in 4 years and i gave him the same response last time
NICE!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

got fired by a customer for the first time today. we had a ton of rain and i mowed his yard 2 days after the rain and it was still a little soggy so i made a few scuff spots in it. anyone with common sense would just be like ok no big deal but this guy is like crazy nit picky. his yard sucks anyways since half of it is dirt with a few weeds growing out of it. the scuff marks weren't even that bad and he was flipping out almost.

it's funny how the people with the worst yards always complain the most. it's like they think their yard is perfect or something.

i could understand if it was a perfect yard and i made 2 big ruts down through the middle of it but come on man. in a week you won't even be able to see the marks anymore. it's not like it was a big deal.

this guy was annoying as heck too. he never shuts up. he just talks talks talks and hardly lets you get a word in. he'd be better off listening for a change and to shut his mouth every once in awhile.

anyways all i can say is good riddance. i told him to stop wasting my time. he's the type that is never gonna be pleased no matter what. complain a little more is what i should've told him.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

This doesn't involve a customer but the other day I was trying a new guy out. He got the push mower off and I pointed and said there's a peice of rebar sticking out of the ground he said I see it. It was literally like 6 feet from the the curb. He starts mowing gets 6 feet and hits it. I shook my head while saying really!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We send a new client his first monthly bill after mowing for a month. He texted wondering why he was being charged for 4 mowings when we had not come even once. He said the lawn was not even growing yet. I told him the reason his lawn was short and looked like it was not growing was because we have been mowing it each week. After texting for half the day I finally told him he owed xxx amount and left it at that. I later thought about it and I am fairly certain he was drunk texting. A couple weeks later he sent us our check in the mail and we never serviced him again.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Got two calls saturday, i scheduled the estimates for 6 and the other at 7 yesterday evening(tues). I called them both around 4 pm to confirm. The first said we got someone to do the work, "you probably dont need to come". I said " youre right i PROBABLY. Dont, thanks for the heads up" SARCASM. I called the other and they were wondering why i was calling, of course they would be there. Two complete sides of the spectrum

REALLY
Old 03-26-2014, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
Here's one from today. A couple weeks ago, I went to a rental house for a landlord we do work for, and pruned up a palm tree that she wanted cleaned up. There was another tree in the backyard she wanted pruned, but that was scheduled for this upcoming Thursday. Anyhow, I got a call earlier today saying not to worry about the tree in the back... She said she has another LCO coming out to cut down the palm tree, and while they're at it, they're going to prune up the tree in the back too.
Why did she want me to prune up this 40' palm tree when another company (that's more equipped for tree work) is going to come out and cut the whole thing down anyway?
a polite way to say they didn't like the way it was pruned?
(sorry, first thing that came to mind).
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deereequipment View Post
a polite way to say they didn't like the way it was pruned?
(sorry, first thing that came to mind).
Or they don't want the lawn guy putting a 40' palm through the roof.
Posted via Mobile Device