Register free!

Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

roaches in the mulch

Got a customer that found a roach in her house, but it was dead on its back.
She really hates & is scared of roaches. The inside pest guy says that the roaches are living in the mulch so she wants to replace mulch with gravel or rocks. I would rather spray something to kill the roaches instead. I googled the subject & got some info, made some phone calls & got more info. I am going
to use permethrin . I know people that have success with boric acid. I do have
OTPS spray license.
Question is this , does anybody have ideas how to get rid of the potential roaches in the mulch?
thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would want to know from the exterminator what kind of roach was found. Was it a wood roach, German, American, or banded?
I really get flared up from pest guys.......and I am one myself on the outside. However, since pests do and can live in mulches, it isn't uncommon at all.
I don't feel that the mulch is the real problem, though if the customer wants rocks installed, it will cost for removal of current mulch, pick up and delivery of said rocks, installation and cleanup. This isn't cheap in my standards as I did a renovation two weeks ago with standard wash rock in shrubbery beds. 4 cu.yds. Not fun to do with shovels and good wheel barrows.

Talstar(Bifenethrin) is what I use for exterior pest control. Read the label for your own judgement on rate per certain pest of target.

I would suggest getting used to the interior pest controllers making your job tough........or it can make your job profitable.

This kind of reminds me of a competitor in the irrigation business. He tells my customers that the problems with irrigation head damage is from mower abuse. There is some truth to his information, but the remainder isn't always the common factor, such as squirrels, sand, mud and tiny pebbles.
In the case of roaches and other insects reaching the mulch, I would refrain from advising the customer that no matter what other types of mulches, rocks, needles,etc. insects will always find refuse in these things.

Oh--if roaches is bad chances is there is another cause other than the mulch. Snoop around the lawn and see.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok first off, I'm not an exerminator but have dealt with this problem for a few summers due to a filthy neighbor who had a German roach problem. First and foremost find out what kind of roach it is cause the "water bug" type is common in mulch and damp areas but is real easy to kill. If its a German roach, look for the dark lines on the adults or the white stripe on the forhead of the nymphs, its going to be tougher and chances are its a much bigger problem. Likely coming from a neighbor or another building cause the prefer indoors. We used to treat our mulch with Talstar granuals and it helped. But if they are german and coming from some other structure, then nothing is going to keep them out of the house. But first thing is you must find out the type of roach.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"The inside pest guy says that the roaches are living in the mulch so she wants to replace mulch with gravel or rocks. I would rather spray something to kill the roaches instead."

The pest control guy should be spraying the outside as well as inside. "One" roach and the lady panics? Lol people get so silly sometimes. Use generic Bifen IT. Its cheaper than rock & replacing mulch with rock, Isnt going to stop roaches either.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 05-09-2013, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What do you do with pests that live in the soil .... remove the soil? How about the roaches that live under rocks? I've lifted many a rock/paver to find dozens of roaches living under them.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Probably a smoky brown roach, may be a wood roach. Niban would be the best thing to use. it's a granular easy to apply.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
What do you do with pests that live in the soil .... remove the soil? How about the roaches that live under rocks? I've lifted many a rock/paver to find dozens of roaches living under them.

Roaches are sometimes called Water bugs and love moisture more than Mulch. Removing Mulch is not going to solve the problem. I agree with Kiril.

I am a Full Book CPO meaning I can even tent a building and Fumigate it for Dry wood Termites or Bed Bugs. Tell the Inside Pest Control guy to do his job and not blame organic mulch for his inability to do a professional job. Or better yet Tell your customer to HIRE A REAL PROFESSIONAL.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.