Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
Your boss is a cheap skate. He's sitting back doing the easy work while your doing the hard part. He is a lazy owner, as if biz is that good, investing in new equipment would greatly increase his income. He is content with staying at this low level of life.

Forget waiting (5) yrs & see if you can take over the biz. I understand you have no $ to invest or branch out on your own but consider renting out some equipment from a local rental shop. Set up several aerator jobs & rent a top notch machine that will knock out multiple jobs.

Consider sitting down and talking it out with him & let him know you want more of the pie $ and the reasons why. Think it all out before you talk to him though. I suspect if you were to leave, his biz would collapse! Maybe settle on 2 1/2 yrs but get something in writing, not a verbal promise.
It's his business. He's paid his due's. That's why he has an employee.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much is he actually grossing per year?

So far, it doesn't sound like it is even worth buying him out.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quit your job, move to Maine, and work for me!!! =D hahhaha.... I would be SOOO happy to have someone with initiative like that plus with your knowledge in gardening etc! Maybe he would give you charge of your own schedule at least, I give my guys a list of jobs to be done each week, and we pick the nicest weather days to get them done. As long as they all get done with no or very little OT I am happy, if we get no complaints I'm even HAPPIER.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about where you come from, but around here, $15+/hr is far from peanuts.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I have spoke with a few lawncare landscape places this AM. Looks like I am making about as much as I could get anywhere else around here. I guess I will just keep trucking where I am @ now. His buisness will definatly collapse without me. He just doesn't have the energy to properly train someone else. I've collected a honda hrx kawasaki trimmer and stihl blower. Just need a decent sized walk behind and I will be ready to get my name out there and generate some clients of my own.
I am not the type of person to steal clients but what if he does go under when I call it quits? Would it be terrible to speak with my favorite clients and let them have my number incase they are left with nobody to take care of their property?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sniping clients while he is still in business - Pretty underhanded and shady
Letting clients know that you are in business for yourself after he is no longer in business - just fine IMHO
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mention to him you are interested in the business. It can be as easy as paying a % of gross or net to him for next xx months.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamizz View Post
I am not the type of person to steal clients but what if he does go under when I call it quits? Would it be terrible to speak with my favorite clients and let them have my number incase they are left with nobody to take care of their property?
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking like a true politician. You are in the wrong profession. Instead of working outdoors you should be working indoors having interns planting "tulips".

Yes it would be terrible to put him under. He has been paying you well.

Get your equipment then find some new customers on your own at start part time on the side. When a fall comes and you feel ready to leave then do the right thing and tell the old man you will not becoming back in the spring but starting out on your own.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
How much is he actually grossing per year?

So far, it doesn't sound like it is even worth buying him out.
OP indicated in previous post, fired a client paying $3,600/yr and that was 3% so they would gross about $120,000/yr. If the OP is the one doing all the work, he probably doesnt need to buy the fellow out if he is 70. Time is on his side, when the old fellow "retires", one way or the other, seems the clients would want to be serviced by the OP
Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMarshall View Post
I don't know about where you come from, but around here, $15+/hr is far from peanuts.
here in ct 15+/hr isn't anything great, most landscape foreman probably get paid almost that, but its pretty easy to find a job at a fertilizer company and make close to 20/hour plus another 20hrs of overtime which is 1.5X regular pay.