Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: so which mower to i buy?
SCAG Tiger Cat 22 61.11%
Kubota ZG222 2 5.56%
Gravely Pro Turn 152 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

help me narrow the final choices down...

hi guys,

i'm new here but have been lurking for months and reading non stop...and over the last 4 weeks have demoed and toyed around with just about every zero turn there is out there...i tested a Ferris 1500z, Scag Tiger Cat, Kubota ZG222 and Z127s, and the gravely pro turn 152. i've got it narrowed down to a few mowers and was hoping for some opinions and insight.

this mower will be for my own personal property and i'm only mowing a couple of acres...pretty flat and quite smooth. there is a decent amount of edging that should be able to be done with the mower so i'm going with a 52" deck as most of the 48" decks didn't reach far enough to not require extra hand trimming. the only 48" deck that had the reach was a Kubota so that is OK with that deck size.

so here are the choices that i've narrowed it down to an the best prices i got quoted..i visited all the local dealers and talked with them and made sure to speak with the service guys too...i hammered out the best possible pricing from dealers up to an hour away..and this is my best work. these are all reputable dealers that i won't have any issues with concerning service. so we're all good there...it's just down to price and brand....these prices do not include tax and are not fleet...since this is a personal purchase. and it's also a financed price since i'm taking adv of the 0% for 48months, so no cash discounts are being offered or made.

#1 Scag Tiger Cat, 52" deck Kawi FX691 $7600

#2 Kubota ZG222 48" deck $7300

#3 Gravely Pro Turn 152 w/ Kawi FX691 $7100

i'm really leaning towards the Scag because it was THE MOST COMFORTABLE out of all of them. that seat is amazing...and even though the gravely has the same seat pretty much...it seemed like a bumpier ride, wheelbase possibly? but i liked the SCAG the most for it's smooth ride and solid reputation.

the Kubota high points were the motor is strong and super quiet...the hydro deck is nice..but not neccesary. the HST is super smooth and over all they really do build the mowers like they build their tractors. ride was the bumpiest of the 3 tested..not sure why...but it was pretty bumpy. i also got a really good deal from the local dealer because we had jsut picked up a Grand L 5240 a few weeks ago for my parents property out in NJ...so with that purchase i was able to pull a few strings and get the price down pretty low on the Kubota.

last night i finally decided to test a Gravely..not sure why i hadn't before as i was really impresses. overall it seems like a great machine. not as smooth as the SCAG..but much better ride than the Kubota. i like all the features...but none of them yelled "buy me" for any specific reason..like i said..great all around mower..doesn't seem like much to complain about there and i know they have a great repuatation.

so there ya go...those three are my final choices...just trying to figure out which one i should bring home and call my own.

thanks in advance for any help...

Last edited by madclimber; 05-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag or gravely... Scag would be my first choice of them...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks Choppin...much appreciated. any specific reasons why...
Old 05-03-2013, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The scag has a proven deck and from what I have seen the kubotas lack in production.... When I shop for mowers a kubota dosnt exist....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I have definitely heard from a lot of people who really like te deck on the SCAG...that's for sure
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag, hands down. If it felt more comfortable than the others there is no other choice. They are know to have one of the best decks out there.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino

Last edited by Blade Runners; 05-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

well it's down to either the SCAG or the Gravely...i've tossed the Kubota on premise of bumpy ride. i'm pretty much sure i want the SCAG now just feel like i'm possibly passing up a good deal since the Gravely is $500 less bucks. i'm going to see if i can get the one dealer who sells them both to drop them off one day at my place to cut with...i think after that i'd know exactly which one i need to buy.

thanks for all the help guys...it's appreciated.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely. Drive it and you'll buy it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

well i've got the dealer coming by tonight @ 5:00pm with a SCAG TigerCat 52" with the KawiFX691 and a Gravely pro turn 152 with the same motor. grass is nice and long after all the rain the last two days...we're gonna do some cutting and then place an order

i'll let you guys know what i decide!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok so we cut with both back to back. Scag seemed more comfortable and less bumpy ride. The gravely seemed a lot easier to work in close with. It was much more precise in its steering, is that because of the transaxle vs the pump n motor in the scag? It was easier to spin wheels on the scag when turning or edging.

Cut was pretty much identical between the two mowers....the scag seemed to lay down a better stripe but both were good.

I'm still torn....about to flip a coin!!??
Posted via Mobile Device