Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The GVWR of my truck by it's self is 9200 pounds.
How does your 1/2 ton have a rating of 9k when my 1 1/4 ton pickup has a rating of 8800
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I think you're digging too deep into it. Md. is a 10,001lb state. If you have a combined GCVWR of 12k on a Chevy 1500, somethings grossly wrong. Look at the door sticker, not the owners manual.

Here's the facts Richard. The DOT will look at the manufacturers sticker that shows the GVWR which on your truck is more then likely at 6200-6500lb gross. Now step back to the trailer and look at what the GVWR is on that sticker and add the two together. That's the number the DOT is going to use. They don't look at the towing capacity of the truck but what the truck can carry including the actual weight of the truck. Same with the trailer. PA is at 17K before you'd need DOT numbers. Now if I cross state lines to do business then the Federal regulations kick in which is the standard 10,001lb.
That's how it is here in MI now too.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How does your 1/2 ton have a rating of 9k when my 1 1/4 ton pickup has a rating of 8800
Take it up with Chevy. They wrote the specs.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
have you actually had your truck on a set of scales and it weighs that much?

The WV DOT is terrible about setting up portable scales everywhere around here due to coal trucks and logging trucks, any truck that passes by with a DOT number on the side that doesn't stop gets chased and put on the scales. I've had a smart @ss DOT guy get after me a couple times without even having a trailer. I honestly didn't know how much my truck weighed until I had in on the scales. We bought the trucks as a cab/chasis without a bed then had beds made up, because of that there is no weight inside the door as most trucks have.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry to have opened a wound here guys. i just want to be legit if i get stopped by Highway patrol or DOT while traveling state roads and US roads. The last thing i need is a cop writing me for every possible thing he can. so in order for the vehicle to be registered to haul 26K lbs, does it have to be registered as a commercial auto?

2009 Dodge Ram Crew Cab Hemi Sport
6.5x14' tandem axle trailer
Exmark Lazer Z 52" 2013
Exmark Commercial 30" push/walk behind
Stihl FS90R trimmer
Stihl FC90 stick edger
Stihl HL90K Hedge trimmer
Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Extreme Trimmer Racks
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
sorry to have opened a wound here guys. i just want to be legit if i get stopped by Highway patrol or DOT while traveling state roads and US roads. The last thing i need is a cop writing me for every possible thing he can. so in order for the vehicle to be registered to haul 26K lbs, does it have to be registered as a commercial auto?
that again all depends on your state... in WV ANY vehicle registered over 10,000 lbs have to a 'B' plate... private or commercial. For WV reference purposes - http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/...hap=17a&art=10

I would doubt that farmers, ranchers, private citizens who haul livestock or other goods over have to be commercial, but if you are going to be hauling 26k, that would probably mean your drivers license needs CDL certification. I think 26k is a federal law requiring CDL.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorLandscapingLLC View Post
There was a huge argument on here about DOT numbers a short while back. Every state controls it's own DOT. Some states require it for interstate travel but not intrastate; some require it regardless of where you travel. For some the threshold is 10001lbs and others it is 26001lbs. There are also USDOT numbers in addition to state numbers. You need to go to the link below. Contact the district office that presides over the part of Florida you live in. Get the facts from them. That is the only way you will know 100% what you need to do to be legal.

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/agencyres...contactus.shtm
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That may be the fact in PA but not in the 3 states that I listed. The GVWR of my truck by it's self is 9200 pounds. When I combine it with a trailer it goes to 12,000 pounds. I will continue to look in the manual because that's where the lawyers will also look when they build a case over your gross negligence to adhere to simple to read specifications.

I have also read the FMCSA rules and they say exactly I what say. The only time they follow the CGWR is when there is no GCVWR to go by. Chevy, Ford, Dodge all have the specs right in the owner manual since forever ago. Why put it in there if it means nothing.
Richard, you're looking like a person that does not know what they are talking about. A Chevy 1500 DOES NOT have a GVWR of 9200 and that is fact. Add the letters "HD" next to the 1500 and you'll be closer but no cigar. Why are you looking at the owners manual anyway? That's not telling you nothing. The DOT officer is going to look at the sticker in the door jam where the production date is located. That's where they put the tire size and all kinds of stuff pertaining to the truck specifically to include the GVWR. You're looking at the towing capacity in the owners manual which has nothing to do with the DOT. They will add the GVWR of the truck and what the trailer is rated at to get a total CGVWR. It's not hard to tell if a company is required to have DOT numbers simply based off of what they're driving. If they are driving a 3/4 ton dually they can't pull a trailer or they'll be over the federal standard of 10,001lbs. Depending on the state, they could use a dual axle trailer too if the state has a higher combined weight rating.

Quote:
This is the point I was trying to make. A dually can have a towing rating of 22k hauling a G/N trailer. So theoretically using that method pulling out with ANY trailer would require a class A no matter what state or you would be driving out of class. Every state is different. DOT told me that it is the combination of truck and trailer you are using and this is also how I interpreted the state laws. If we had to use the tow rating we would need DOT #'s, fuel stickers, fuel mileage logs etc.......
Exactly.

Quote:
It doesn't, he's confused. LOL

Quote:
Take what up with Chevy? You're looking at the wrong numbers. Again, if you have a 1500 then it's rating is between 6200-6500lbs.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

already said

Last edited by SaberLawnCare; 05-10-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: already said
Old 05-10-2013, 05:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
have you actually had your truck on a set of scales and it weighs that much?
No, the curb weight is about 4500 pounds.

Closed Thread