Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How do i build a wall around/up to this tree and make it look good?

Figured I would cut to the chase
Here are the pics. I would like to build a SRW using liberty stone block from the corner all the way on the left up to the tree and step it down to a graded area around the trees and mulch it out. I'll try and put a design together later and post it but I'm torn as to whats the least sloppy way around the tree. I can't change the fact that its hanging over the curb and they wont take the tree out.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You might have to trim some root to get it down to grade, is that a concrete berm under / next to the timber wall
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Old buddy, you need to stop chasing every single prospective job that comes your way.

When you're lookin at this kind of stuff, ask yourself "what would Andrew Hardscape do?".

Psychology - since the tree is still there - the people like it. Otherwise they would have sacrificed the tree.

With that said - you do the job and 4 years later the tree die - the people ain't gonna like you.

Better have someone help you with a well worded clause regarding being indemnified and held harmless of all liability and responsibility resulting from......

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And after lookin at the pic - no wall needs to be on the side of the tree by the street.

Both the tree and the tree's roots will retain the ground. I think it may be very doable without much disturbance.

But - after this one is done - if you wanna be cool like me - then start being more selective

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ehh.. I dont think I would get involved in that one. What can you do really aside from cutting the tree down. Considering its blowing out the existing wall now a new wall will do the same thing and cutting the roots will most likely kill the tree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-09-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why can't you stop the wall short of the trees on either side, tuck in a few boulders, plants some more groundcover, and call it good?
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How come papercutter is the only one who gets it? I dont want to take a stump grinder to it so I can fit a wall block in there, far from it.

stillwater that is a concrete curb attached to the gutter. the ties are flush to it and sunk in a little bit.

I spoke to my friend the certified arborist and he said the tree should be fine if I remove the ties and leave the side of it exposed.

and DVS, this is a repeat customer. probably one of the best I have had. I did the concrete patio and bullnose coping with sod a few pages back in this yard. This job will get done by me according to my recommendation and expertise (limited), with input from yours. working on a design now. I like the idea of a boulder to "natural it up"
Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
How come papercutter is the only one who gets it?
How much time you got for me to list all the reasons?

could even be a cool opportunity to die the wall ends into a boulder on each side... that bed is way too small around those trees, way out of scale. I think you have a great opportunity not only to sell a wall but a really nice planting job. Have fun with it.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm the first to admit I lack in the plant department so throw some ideas at me. attached are some professional quality renderings i did in 5 minutes. I would like to add some creeping euonymous etc. the dark green area denotes grading and sod to eliminate the need for a wall next to the driveway and to the right of the tree. putting in cobblestone along both sides of the driveway.
have at it guys

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
How come papercutter is the only one who gets it? I dont want to take a stump grinder to it so I can fit a wall block in there, far from it.

stillwater that is a concrete curb attached to the gutter. the ties are flush to it and sunk in a little bit.

I spoke to my friend the certified arborist and he said the tree should be fine if I remove the ties and leave the side of it exposed.

and DVS, this is a repeat customer. probably one of the best I have had. I did the concrete patio and bullnose coping with sod a few pages back in this yard. This job will get done by me according to my recommendation and expertise (limited), with input from yours. working on a design now. I like the idea of a boulder to "natural it up"

Hey hey, you did not read my second post! paper cutter is NOT the "only one". He just re-worded what I said
Posted via Mobile Device