Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Kohler 23 hp EFI

I have pretty much decided on a Gravely 148. The choice in engines is the Kawa 22 hp or the 23 hp Kohler EFI. The Kohler cost about $500 more. I've had good luck with both Kohler and Kawa v-twins. Never had a EFI before.
The EFI is supposed to save about 25% in fuel. That makes me interested in the Kohler.
Anybody have experience with the Kohler EFI's. Anybody here that could tell me any information?
I would appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walker has been offering the Kohler 26efi on its MT series mowers for quite a while now. We have two of them and love them. They crank right up with no fuss (no choke to deal with) and are ready to go right away. I've never done any analysis on the fuel savings, but you can tell that it uses less than you would think if you are used to carb mowers. I had not heard that there's a 23efi, but I would get one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a new mower. BTW, we also have two 148Z mowers and they are awesome. Most of our guys prefer them to the Exmark Lazers we run. Our 148Zs have the Kaw 21hp, and it's a great combination.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiagrass View Post
Walker has been offering the Kohler 26efi on its MT series mowers for quite a while now. We have two of them and love them. They crank right up with no fuss (no choke to deal with) and are ready to go right away. I've never done any analysis on the fuel savings, but you can tell that it uses less than you would think if you are used to carb mowers. I had not heard that there's a 23efi, but I would get one in a heartbeat if I was in the market for a new mower. BTW, we also have two 148Z mowers and they are awesome. Most of our guys prefer them to the Exmark Lazers we run. Our 148Zs have the Kaw 21hp, and it's a great combination.
Hey georgiagrass, we're happy to hear that you're enjoying our engines. We do in fact make 23 HP Command PRO EFI engines. Walker offers it with their Model MB tractor.

-Cindy from Kohler Engines
Talk with us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/kohlerengines
Old 05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
I have pretty much decided on a Gravely 148. The choice in engines is the Kawa 22 hp or the 23 hp Kohler EFI. The Kohler cost about $500 more. I've had good luck with both Kohler and Kawa v-twins. Never had a EFI before.
The EFI is supposed to save about 25% in fuel. That makes me interested in the Kohler.
Anybody have experience with the Kohler EFI's. Anybody here that could tell me any information?
I would appreciate it.

I have a Walker with a 26 EFI Kohler on it. It does use less fuel and EFI is great when its working right,but,I will have to think really hard between EFI and carb on the purchase of my next machine.

Next week will be a month that my dealer has had the machine . As of last week,Kohler cannot seem to figure it out even though they had the dealer change the injectors,fuel filter,fuel pump and God knows what else. Pretty pathetic as its not as if fuel injection is brand new to the lawn industry.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A month. You dealer sounds like he's afraid of the thing. Kohler
isn't in the shop. It's that dealers responsibility to do the repairs.
Maybe the problem is the dealers incompetence and not the engine.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky86 View Post
A month. You dealer sounds like he's afraid of the thing. Kohler
isn't in the shop
. It's that dealers responsibility to do the repairs.
Maybe the problem is the dealers incompetence and not the engine.
Yes,a month,and at a time where the grass typically grows the most.True,Kohler is not in the shop,however,according to the dealer,he has had Kohler on the phone at least 4 times now. Very,very frustrating to say the least!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX12R View Post
Yes,a month,and at a time where the grass typically grows the most.True,Kohler is not in the shop,however,according to the dealer,he has had Kohler on the phone at least 4 times now. Very,very frustrating to say the least!
Why don't you start a thread with this. And to the original poster.
Don't be concerned. As soon as they all get the cost factor under control, they'll all be fuel injected. I've heard and spoken to many dealers who won't sell them. They also have no clue how they work. It's easier to say "Oh they aren't any good" Idiots. Remember, everyone thought the world was flat. Sales wise, we've pushed them hard. Guys are leary at first but the fuel savings can't be ignored. We've had very few problems, and would buy one myself if the need arose.