Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

dethatching.....opposite directions?

hey guys, 2 wks ago this coming weekend i used my dethatcher and went over my lawn (which i doubt has EVER been dethatched) and my 1.2ac lawn took me 5 hours and probably about 60 loads emptying the bagger until it was finished.

Anyway, last friday my uncle told me this weekend i should go over my lawn again and dethatch it a 2nd time, but in the opposite direction i initially dethatched it. He also told me after this second dethatching to follow up with Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass Preventer (blue n white bag), then in a month go over lawn again with Scots Turf Builder Weed n Feed (yellow n white bag).

Anyway, my biggest question is assuming my lawn hasnt ever (or within last 10 years) been fully dethatched, is it ok to dethtach it again a second time in the opposite direction or is one dethatching all thats nesc. no matter how much thatch is built up in the grass. i DO want my lawn to be one of the better/best looking lawns in the neighborhood, which shouldnt be hard beings no one does much besides mow.
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear