Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2013, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Who makes the best walk behinds? I have heard from a few people, but I want to see if there are different results/opinions.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Member

To us it's The Hustler Hydro walk series pre 2007. Easy to change from walk(0-5mph F,0=2.5mph R) to sulky mode(0-8.5 mph F, 0-5 MPH R), Handles sidehill and slopes with ease, even our 15/36" handles the Bullrider sulky w/185LB operator with ease. With sulky reverses direction faster than any midmount without scuffing, really tough(dropped both off trailer, seprate incidences-broken tie down going 25mph) no major damage beyond road rash(landed upsidedown) easy H-bar controls only take 2-5 min to get good, hold all day fuel, smooth cut,excellent discharge and very durable(2753.2 hrs, still going strong) The only downfall is length and $6K new but well worth the money
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this mower worth it to be honest? IF not, I would rather fix it up nice and sell it to get some kind of better walk behind. Any ideas/suggestions?
Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
Who makes the best walk behinds? I have heard from a few people, but I want to see if there are different results/opinions.
Gotta say I love my 52" Scag Hydro w/floating deck. Handles evrything to include hills and tall grass and it has a smart control bar that makes it effortless to ride behind when the sulky is down. Whats really nice is you can back up with the sulky on and it doesnt harm the turf.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post
Gotta say I love my 52" Scag Hydro w/floating deck. Handles evrything to include hills and tall grass and it has a smart control bar that makes it effortless to ride behind when the sulky is down. Whats really nice is you can back up with the sulky on and it doesnt harm the turf.
Hmmm. I love my tiger cat and like matching equipment. I just have a lot to learn about walk behinds. Got this at a steal and wanted for small yards, backyard gates, hills, etc. which model do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Its the SCAG Pro V 52"

For some reason last year was it for these. They don't offer them anymore.

But I am super impressed with all the features and with the sulky attached it just tears through lawns.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toasted View Post

Its the SCAG Pro V 52"

For some reason last year was it for these. They don't offer them anymore.

But I am super impressed with all the features and with the sulky attached it just tears through lawns.
I know what you mean with the 52" deck. I can run my tiger cat at 10mph if I want and knock my yards out. I don't know what the smart controls are, but your mower looks nice man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-25-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropctony View Post
I know what you mean with the 52" deck. I can run my tiger cat at 10mph if I want and knock my yards out. I don't know what the smart controls are, but your mower looks nice man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man- that's just the SCAG file photo but it looks the same. The smart control I am referring to is the control bar and it's similar to a bicycle handlebar that controls the two hydraulic pumps. They offer a smaller deck currently but only in a fixed configuration.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

update on fixing her up and some pics of the QOC. What do you think? Yes, I know, she is going to get a new paint job and decals as for now using it is more important.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

a few more. The non striped pics are same yard at an early point and with my crappy 21''. This is why I was trying to get a 36'' of any sort with a good QOC. I am sure I will find things to pic on her about, but hey...the price was RIGHT What a blessing from God it was. Helps keep me around, get the yard done faster, etc.
Attached Images

Tags
36'' , exmark help , exmark metro , repair exmark metro , walk behind