Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

dethatching.....opposite directions?

hey guys, 2 wks ago this coming weekend i used my dethatcher and went over my lawn (which i doubt has EVER been dethatched) and my 1.2ac lawn took me 5 hours and probably about 60 loads emptying the bagger until it was finished.

Anyway, last friday my uncle told me this weekend i should go over my lawn again and dethatch it a 2nd time, but in the opposite direction i initially dethatched it. He also told me after this second dethatching to follow up with Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass Preventer (blue n white bag), then in a month go over lawn again with Scots Turf Builder Weed n Feed (yellow n white bag).

Anyway, my biggest question is assuming my lawn hasnt ever (or within last 10 years) been fully dethatched, is it ok to dethtach it again a second time in the opposite direction or is one dethatching all thats nesc. no matter how much thatch is built up in the grass. i DO want my lawn to be one of the better/best looking lawns in the neighborhood, which shouldnt be hard beings no one does much besides mow.
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-11-2013, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I say that dethatching is counter productive and that over-fertilizing with all the additional herbicides is not what makes a lawn healthy... Start with the roots then look at the surface... people have dirt showing in their turf everywhere in little or big spots and believe that they have a great lawn... I don't want to see dirt in my lawn and ripping it up with a dethatcher and removing soil building OM isn't going to improve anything... sound like your uncle likes to grow grass above the soil rather than IN the soil...
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How is dethatching going to cause grass to grow above the soil?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD_Crazed View Post
hey guys, 2 wks ago this coming weekend i used my dethatcher and went over my lawn (which i doubt has EVER been dethatched) and my 1.2ac lawn took me 5 hours and probably about 60 loads emptying the bagger until it was finished.

Anyway, last friday my uncle told me this weekend i should go over my lawn again and dethatch it a 2nd time, but in the opposite direction i initially dethatched it. He also told me after this second dethatching to follow up with Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass Preventer (blue n white bag), then in a month go over lawn again with Scots Turf Builder Weed n Feed (yellow n white bag).

Anyway, my biggest question is assuming my lawn hasnt ever (or within last 10 years) been fully dethatched, is it ok to dethtach it again a second time in the opposite direction or is one dethatching all thats nesc. no matter how much thatch is built up in the grass. i DO want my lawn to be one of the better/best looking lawns in the neighborhood, which shouldnt be hard beings no one does much besides mow.
Make the decision to dethatch only after you determine if the thatch layer needs to be removed.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In 26 year's i have seen 2 mostly fescue lawn's that actually needed de-thatching, that's not to say your's didn't, but from looking at your picture's, it probably didn't, although it would take me actually being there to say for sure. De-thatching usually cause's more damage than it does anything good. It's an idea that has caught on with homeowner's without a realistic cause. LCO's do it to create revenue or because homeowner's request it, and they do request it, a lot. The fertilizer people put on their grass afterword's mainly cover's up the damage. And fertilizer with a pre-emerge like halt's or weed and feed also prevent's new grass seed from growing. Bottom line is.. i don't agree with de-thatching on fescue. You can have a top quality yard if follow the advice on this forum and take the time to do it right. It's not that hard to do. Good luck.

Last edited by agrostis; 05-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
How is dethatching going to cause grass to grow above the soil?
Did you see all the bags of ferts w/'cides that was going down after each dethatching episode all during the upcoming heat of the Summer??? Do we understand what living and dead stems and roots do during the hot spell of the Summer when lots of ferts and water are sitting atop the soil in abundance,,, after so much OM is constantly removed???

I realize that "Soil Structure" is a taboo subject in this forum,,,, but really...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Did you see all the bags of ferts w/'cides that was going down after each dethatching episode all during the upcoming heat of the Summer??? Do we understand what living and dead stems and roots do during the hot spell of the Summer when lots of ferts and water are sitting atop the soil in abundance,,, after so much OM is constantly removed???

I realize that "Soil Structure" is a taboo subject in this forum,,,, but really...
ummm..what??
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

"... He also told me after this second dethatching to follow up with Scotts Turf Builder with Halts Crabgrass Preventer (blue n white bag), then in a month go over lawn again with Scots Turf Builder Weed n Feed (yellow n white bag). ..."

ummmm...what???

Good idea??? if so then "Why"???

plz explain how this is a good idea...and don't go with the sales pitch on the bags, rather let's go with the why for the sake of the turf from a botanical POV that considers the turf...

I know you'll find people that agree with the sales pitches,,, but that doesn't change the reality of what is beneficial and what is folly... opinions do not change reality...
Old 05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

idk he said he uses their "5 step system" i just always figured scotts was a good brand to use, and scotts says to use the same products for early and late spring. Thats why im on here though so i know whats good n whats bad.

so if that isnt a good idea, then what SHOULD i use?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not so much the product as it is the question of whether you should de-thatch cool season grass in the spring or not, and the answer to that is, no you shouldn't, and i think you'll find almost unanimous agreement on that among professional's. Doing that cause's hole's in the turf canopy and then those product's are needed to control the weed's that now have room to grow in those hole's, it's a vicious cycle. Your best defense against weed's is a healthy stand of grass, and that can't start in earnest until fall. You have to take the long view, a nice yard require's lot's of time (a couple of year's) and lot's of patience. You've already started tearing up the yard but don't de-thatch again and don't put down that second app of pre-emerge herbicide. All this stuff will wear off by September and we'll get you on the right track then.

Last edited by agrostis; 05-12-2013 at 10:12 PM.