Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-11-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Getting Employees to listen?

My guys work hard and show up on time but they do not seem to listen.

Example: I asked them to stop rounding the edges, I want 90 degrees on corners. They are not doing it.

I am constantly telling them to put things back where they got it. They dont do it.

You can only yell, ask or threaten they're jobs so many times before it gets old. I don't want to fire them because they do work pretty good but at the same time I need these things done.

Does anyone have any legitimate suggestions??
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just fire one and the others should fall in. They know your threats are meaningless otherwise
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

i use snickers candy bars as a way of positive reinforcement with them.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

When you tell them 90 on a corner do you explain why? I started new guy this week past rule number one with me at the customers property never fill equipment on the customers lawn, why you spill you kill grass. You kill grass they don't want us back we don't have work. He understands.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quit treating them like kids and they'll stop acting like kids. I understand there's a time to yell, but never threaten your guys. What would you do if you in their shoes? What's happening to make them not want to listen? I just quit a pretty good job as a field supervisor for 5 grass crews because upper management didn't understand how to manage people. I show up on time every day and only called off once in over two years I've been there. I worked more hours than any of the other 30+ employees last year and you know what my reward was? A scolding about too much overtime. How does that make me want to work hard anymore? It doesn't. I can take a lot of crap and some people even think I'm a push-over. But I'm not going to stay on if I poured my blood out for two years and don't even get one measly "thanks for working late tonight."

I know I ventured off topic for a bit, but as a manager, you're responsible for your employees. If your employees are unhappy, look at yourself. What am I doing wrong that's making them feel that way? If your employees don't listen, look to yourself to figure out why. Sure, you get bad employees that need to be removed, absolutely. Not every guy can be managed. But instead of making them fearful of losing their jobs or even worse making them angry at you, help them to feel good about making your job easier.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should coddle your employees or treat them like spoiled children. Treat them like adults. As a leader, you need to show that you have their back, but aren't willing to be walked on. They don't put something back, call them on it. They don't do what you want, call them on it. Suspend them, issue a written warning. But if you change your mindset to "how can I help them do their jobs better" from "what the eff are they doing," you might notice some slow changes.

Professionalism starts from the top and works its way down. If you want your employees to be the best, you have to try your hardest to be the best.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've watched over 12-14 employees for a couple years and I wasn't in the position to fire any of them. Which means I had to deal with what I was given. Being a consistent force of strength, cool demeanor, and compassion goes a lot further in my opinion than fear.

And every day I'd go home thinking about how poorly I did working with them.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts

Last edited by 93Chevy; 05-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chineau View Post
When you tell them 90 on a corner do you explain why? I started new guy this week past rule number one with me at the customers property never fill equipment on the customers lawn, why you spill you kill grass. You kill grass they don't want us back we don't have work. He understands.
Yes, I explain why and I even show pictures of what happens.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
Quit treating them like kids and they'll stop acting like kids. I understand there's a time to yell, but never threaten your guys. What would you do if you in their shoes? What's happening to make them not want to listen? I just quit a pretty good job as a field supervisor for 5 grass crews because upper management didn't understand how to manage people. I show up on time every day and only called off once in over two years I've been there. I worked more hours than any of the other 30+ employees last year and you know what my reward was? A scolding about too much overtime. How does that make me want to work hard anymore? It doesn't. I can take a lot of crap and some people even think I'm a push-over. But I'm not going to stay on if I poured my blood out for two years and don't even get one measly "thanks for working late tonight."

I know I ventured off topic for a bit, but as a manager, you're responsible for your employees. If your employees are unhappy, look at yourself. What am I doing wrong that's making them feel that way? If your employees don't listen, look to yourself to figure out why. Sure, you get bad employees that need to be removed, absolutely. Not every guy can be managed. But instead of making them fearful of losing their jobs or even worse making them angry at you, help them to feel good about making your job easier.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should coddle your employees or treat them like spoiled children. Treat them like adults. As a leader, you need to show that you have their back, but aren't willing to be walked on. They don't put something back, call them on it. They don't do what you want, call them on it. Suspend them, issue a written warning. But if you change your mindset to "how can I help them do their jobs better" from "what the eff are they doing," you might notice some slow changes.

Professionalism starts from the top and works its way down. If you want your employees to be the best, you have to try your hardest to be the best.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I've watched over 12-14 employees for a couple years and I wasn't in the position to fire any of them. Which means I had to deal with what I was given. Being a consistent force of strength, cool demeanor, and compassion goes a lot further in my opinion than fear.
I agree %100 that's why I am asking. I treat them like grown men, I don't yell, I ask and I do lots of things other bosses don't do. That's why I get frustrated when they don't listen continuously.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Choose your battles. I choose to deal w all that and more just since my guys come in on time and do a reasonably good job most times. Employees are mostly capable of average and no more. If they can do more, they would have their own business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

subscribing - managing employees is what I struggle with most. I'm not terrible, but would love to be a LOT better. Hard to know how to help each one grow and where to draw lines.

Jason
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Choose your battles. I choose to deal w all that and more just since my guys come in on time and do a reasonably good job most times. Employees are mostly capable of average and no more. If they can do more, they would have their own business.
Posted via Mobile Device
So if you take your truck in to get work done and they do it half assed you would be okay with that?
Posted via Mobile Device