Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Estimating Over seeding after aeration

I own a small lawn aeration business in the Chicagoland area and many of my clients have inquired about overseeding due to the drought conditions we' e had the past few years.Most lawns are either Kentucky blue or royal Yukon blue grasses & are about 5-10m sq ft in size.now the questions...How many lbs of seed per 1,000 sq ft should be applied when over seeding?. I have a local supplier that i can purchase in bulk however Above the actual cost of the seed what would a fair price per 1,000 sq ft be for my application?
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Established lawn KBG 3 lbs per 1,000 sf.

New lawn 5 lbs per 1,000 sf.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Member

The bags of seed should state the lbs per k for the new lawns and for overseeding. Usually 8-10 lbs per k for new lawns and 3-5 for overseeding. I am using tall fescue though. I have my own core aerator, but I charge $50-80 for that, $70-100 for seed, and an additional $40-60 for fertilizer/lime. Average yard I charge about $250.
1996 Ram 2500 12 valve CTD
1999 F350 7.3 PSD flatbed
20' enclosed, 16' open, 14' dump
2 Walker MT 48", Toro Z500 60",
Toro proline 48", Dixon ZTR 42"
Stihl small equipment
SC licensed pesticide applicator
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rent a slit seeder and set the dial for the amount of seed the lawn needs... aeration is a meaningless and messy activity and should only be done as necessary... seeding is not a purpose for aeration...

In fact most overseeded lawns will not even require a BLANKET APP of seed and could be done in a simple cost effective method that benefits the client and provides a larger Profit Margin for the LCO who knows what he's doing...

In another thread people were complaining about how inflation is eating away their profit margins and I have got to say, that this additional expense to the client for aerating as a seedbed is one of the largest rip-offs that not only waste their money but cost us in the time/profit ratio... just sayin'...
Old 05-12-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Rent a slit seeder and set the dial for the amount of seed the lawn needs... aeration is a meaningless and messy activity and should only be done as necessary... seeding is not a purpose for aeration...

In fact most overseeded lawns will not even require a BLANKET APP of seed and could be done in a simple cost effective method that benefits the client and provides a larger Profit Margin for the LCO who knows what he's doing...

In another thread people were complaining about how inflation is eating away their profit margins and I have got to say, that this additional expense to the client for aerating as a seedbed is one of the largest rip-offs that not only waste their money but cost us in the time/profit ratio... just sayin'...
Disagree, aeration is highly beneficial for a lawn. I have also had very good luck with core aeration followed by overseeding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocecil1 View Post
Disagree, aeration is highly beneficial for a lawn. I have also had very good luck with core aeration followed by overseeding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Aeration IS beneficial for many lawns,,, however it is the silliest SEEDBED out there...

Show me the germinated results of the overseeding to Prove Me Wrong...
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what equipment you use to aerate. But on my ride on aerator I fabricated a bracket to hold an 12 volt powered spreader. I run back across a lawn after aerating it spreading seed. Works great for me.
2008 Exmark 46" Laser HP W/Powerchute & Air Ride
2010 Exmark 52" Vantage
2009 Toro 52" GrandStand W/Powerchute
2010 Lawn Solutions Ride On Aerator
Stihl FS 90 Trimmers
Stihl MS 170 & MS 390 Chainsaws
Stihl HT 101 Pole Saw
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Stihl BG55 & SH86 Handheld Blowers
Stihl Yard Boss Cultivator
Honda F220 Rototiller
Echo HC150 Shrub Trimmer
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I charge $40/K for slice overseeding, $10 more per K if I aerate before or if I have to mow the lawn short if it is too tall. Min $100 for a job. Most 1/4 ac. resis in the $275 range. I DO NOT guarantee a slice overseed job in an existing lawn. Absolutely no way too tell what you think is a good germination rate vs. what a customer thinks.

If I seed bare ground I will ensure a good stand of grass tho.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Aeration IS beneficial for many lawns,,, however it is the silliest SEEDBED out there...

Show me the germinated results of the overseeding to Prove Me Wrong...
Been doing a few over-seeding jobs this Spring. I typically do a double pass with a reciprocating Plugr 850 for the top dress effect....then I crank out or drop spread the seed.

My Blue Bird S22 has the seed hopper in the back and not in the front where it should be.

Anyhow then I vetticut in 2 directions then I get crazy and break up the plugs further with my Toro TimeMaster 30 with mulch plug in....for another pass or 2.

PS.

My yBravo 25 with a Oregon® 24.5" G6 Gator blade and mulch plug installed shows extreme promise for this duty.

**note**

...this may be the absolute best method thus far on the planet to break up those ghastly annoying shear volume of plugs left by reciprocating aerators....

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't like those plugs or the holes and only do that when absolutely necessary... If I can loosen and pulverize the top inch of soil UNIFORMLY and settle the seed in that layer and really SOAK it down,,, I'm thinking best seedbed ever...

But having a machine that does that in an existing lawn is near impossible, but at least the slit-seeder has a more uniform style for the tiny seeds of grass... and I agree,,, slit seeders seemed to have been engineered by morons...