Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just Got a New Wright X . . your thoughts.

Traded in my 52 Tiger Cub . . that I loved dearly . . for a new 52 X.
Found a few threads and comments good and bad for this unit.

So those of you that have these units I would like to ask:

Mine does not stripe very well, and I do not want it to! Will be removing the flap to make it even less noticeable, will report back on that.

They have given us the option now to use the older straight blades . . if we want to . . buy using longer spindle bolts, and of the six total spacers they have, three top, three bottom, take two from the top, and place on the bottom to lower the straight blades the half inch to match up. This info is from Chris at Wright.

Who has played with swapping blades and what have you found?

What deck pitch is working best for you?

Does the deck bounce bother you much? Any tweaks you have made?

What battery came in your machine? Dealer swapped mine out for an interstate un-sealed with caps battery. Not sure why.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome. I will report back with any mods or tweaks I do as well.

Thanks !

Last edited by Lawn Pawn; 05-11-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure why the dealer would have to swap batteries. Wrights have been coming out of the crates with Interstate batteries for a few years now...ever since Interstate started making the SP35 that will fit in the Wright battery boxes.

As for it not striping well, what height are you cutting at? I know you dont want it to stripe but it might not be doing it well because the striper is adjustable. If you are cutting at a high setting, you need to lower the striper down.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got any pics of the beast?

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-11-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 2 new x's last December and we love them. Mine stripe great at 3" cutting height but I had to lower the rubber down to the top holes. They both came with interstate batteries. I do not notice any deck bouncing with them and we cut a lot of berms and slopes with some rougher terrain. No complaints so far.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer may have swapped out the battery as a precaution . . it had rolled up 30 some hrs as someone left the key on. No, had never been off the showroom floor.

Mowed first long yard with rubber flap off and it seemed to make no difference. It did stripe very nice and even, just very light soft stripes at 2.5 inches, I have no complaints. Summertime I try to keep 3.0 to 3.5 on decent lawns. Only mowed first time this year a couple days ago. Not counting cleanups.

Tires at 18 psi, took the front spring out of the platform, and moved the other two rearward far as they go. Sits a bit lower to step onto and slightly smoother ride with no bottoming out, I am about 215.

Made a chute plate, but not a decent open and close mechanism yet.

Like the mower very much so far, only a couple hours on it. Kind of a brute compared to my older 36 fixed deck. Thanks for the replies, I will post some images when I get a few more things sorted out
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just added 2 washers for a total of 7, makes changing the blades quicker and I didn't have a deep enough socket to change them in stock form. Run 1/4" pitch for best cut, and th reason it doesn't stripe good is probably because you have stock blades
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have an hour or so of mowing so far, all first mows for the season. Never had grass packed so tight and thick under any deck!

The blades just hollowed out tunnels to keep rotating. Other owners have such an accumulation with your deck.

No . . . I did not fluid film the new deck, as I wanted to see what it would do box stock. Did not expect this. Have read about others taking the bolt in front baffle out. Any deck mods you have done with beneficial results?

Have oem blades and spacers just as from factory.

With my 52 Velocity I removed the one small baffle on the discharge side and that made a big difference not clumping and chunking in thick wet grass. Never put it back in.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got over 50 hrs on both my new x's and I'm running with the high lift fusion blades that came with the machines. Been cutting tall thick bluegrass sometimes 6 or 7 inches tall without double cutting ! The aero core decks on these are awesome. I'm not having any issues with grass clumps sticking under the deck as you describe. There is some under there but not anymore than any of my other machines. My older Wrights definitely don't discharge the clippings as well as the X's .
Old 05-13-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I just need to be more attentive keeping it cleaner from the git-go and avoid any build up getting ahead of me.

And some Fluid Film if required. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if its wet grass it'll pack really thick with that baffle in place. however without the baffle it has pretty severe blowout. i'm attempting to come up with a solution for this. Mine generally stays pretty clean under normal conditions