Register free!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How did you justify purchasing a compact tractor w/ fel?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how y'all with compact tractors with a fel got to the point where you could justify purchasing one. Here's the thing, most of my work has been regular lawn maintenance and other landscaping that is manageable with out heavy equipment. I had some jobs pop up that need/could use a tractor with a fel and box blade to accomplish. Redoing some gravel drives, some dirt moving work and such. I would like to continue to expand in this type of work as well. Im wondering if i can continue to find work for it? How has your experience been finding work for your tractor and keeping it busy? Since i don't have one, i cant advertise to test the water so to speak. So my questions to you guys are: When did you decide to purchase one based on your work load? Does the tractor work stay pretty busy and is it manageable to find work for it? I know it all depends on the area your located and other factors like that but just some general info would help out greatly! Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

I bought a dingo and never looked back 10 years ago. Now I have 4 and a track loader. I wouldn't focus on "tractor work", I would focus on being a landscape contractor. There isn't any money in tractor work. There is money in selling a 5k irrigation system or a 10k landscape job or 15k hardscape job. But they just happen require equipment, but I don't market as "equipment work" or "tractor work". Those are people looking for a $35 an hour tractor guy, and you can do that or way more with a $25 shovel.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

For the money and potential work I'd look at a dingo vs a 35 horse power tractor. 35HP would a good starting point. Anything less than that and you're not gaining anything.

A dingo can line up more work or more landscaping work. Tractor work might not pay as well as you hope.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought mine for when I mulch and do plantings, but I have found a lot more uses for my tractor such as plowing snow, over seeding and aerating. i have even used it to do big lawn instals and spread over a 100 yards of topsoil.I would suggest buying a hydro unit because I the speed being greater and it is better for loader work. My tractor is a John deere 2720 it's a 30 hp tractor with 25 to the pto and it has surprised me how powerful it is I was able to run my buddy's 72" Harley rake no problem. I love my tractor definitely it is my most versatile piece of equipment
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys for all the info! I was more interested in the tractor due to some of the attachments. I would probably be using it some in the mountains, and any farm work i feel the tractor would do better, such as bush hogging.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wanted one, I knew I could make money with it (brush hog, tilling gardens, etc...) so that was justification enough.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We've got a Kubota BX2360 sub-compact tractor. It's part of the daily working fleet as it has a 60" deck. I've also got a FEL, 4' brush hog, 4' tiller, disc, plow, aerator, post hole digger... We can add easily a couple thousand per year extra due to plowing/tilling gardens. We also have about 5 once a month 2+ acre properties that we brush hog.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Good tractor, albeit a bit small. I'm guessing you will be wanting a bigger tractor sooner.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mini's are getting to the point where you can do anything a tractor can do except attachments you pull awhile getting in tight spaces. You can add a pto driven hydro pump to a tractor and run any attachments a mini can. I want the kubota 3300 SU if I got the number right. 33 hp and under 60 inches wide. I was looking at mowing 40 acres of cemeteries and they wanted all the leaves picked up. I was scratching my heading on how to do it and found this. I was planning on running a 54inch deck and have a pto driven blower followed by a custom massive dump trailer for the leaves. I didn't bid on it because 30k on this tractor and attachments was a bit much for me. I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but for now my rental company has a nice tractor and dingo I rent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have a JD 2320 And it is PHENOMENAL!

You never really see how much you can use a tractor until you have one. We chose the tractor because it is light and has turf tires which makes it really easy to take mulch across the lawn without tearing it up.
One guy constantly dropping piles with 2 others spreading... We can knock out several jobs this way!

Also pulling out shrubs, moving rocks, adding retaining walls etc, is all possible to bid on now that you have a tractor! Or Brush hogging of course! But be very careful because we figured because we had a tractor with a 3pt now we can get "any" brush hog... WRONG. It goes by HP our 2320 can only handle a 48" hogg. Which kinda sucks!

Tractor can be used in the snow with a broom or plow too!