Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Prodiamine accidentally spread in vegetable garden

One of my employees accidentally spread some of the Prodiamine that he was applying to my customer's lawn in the customer's vegetable garden, which was recently planted with lettuce and other greens. (He was riding too close to the garden apparently.) Do I need to tell my customer not to eat the produce of the garden and to remove the contaminated garden soil?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I believe I just answered a similar question. A REAL PROFESSIONAL WOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK THIS QUESTION. I won't blame you so much as the State Pesticide Licensing Agency that gave you a Pesticide License with no or Limited Training. It is not my job to train you, so I am not going to answer your question Because I just answered a Question Just like Yours.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I believe I just answered a similar question. A REAL PROFESSIONAL WOULDN'T HAVE TO ASK THIS QUESTION. I won't blame you so much as the State Pesticide Licensing Agency that gave you a Pesticide License with no or Limited Training. It is not my job to train you, so I am not going to answer your question Because I just answered a Question Just like Yours.

jesus christ.....
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post
One of my employees accidentally spread some of the Prodiamine that he was applying to my customer's lawn in the customer's vegetable garden, which was recently planted with lettuce and other greens. (He was riding too close to the garden apparently.) Do I need to tell my customer not to eat the produce of the garden and to remove the contaminated garden soil?
You need to tell your client that an error was made in the application. I'm sure you would appreciate the same courtesy. Own up to mistakes, it is the honest thing to do.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Of course I owned up. I have already told my customer what happened. My question is whether or not there is a health concern. Can the produce be consumed or does it need to be discarded and does the soil need to be removed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Member

What does it say on the bag??
Old 05-13-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The label on the bag says "Not for vegetables"... who knows what the MSDS says...
Old 05-13-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
My question is whether or not there is a health concern. Can the produce be consumed or does it need to be discarded and does the soil need to be removed?
The produce should not be consumed due to the possibility of illegal residues.

The discarded plant matter from the garden should not be fed to any livestock as illegal residues could result.

As for the soil, that could be handled a couple of different ways.

The prodiamine in the soil will eventually break down from the aerobic activity in the soil as well as leaching, but there are too many variables involved to accurately determine how long that will take (i.e. temperature, rainfall, amount of product originally sprayed, etc...).

You could ask the homeowner not to plant anything in the sprayed area for the remainder of the year but that might not go over to well with the homeowner.

The alternative would be to remove the affected soil.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This needs a test! Is prodiamine a good salad dressinig? I'll personally take mine without....
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The label says, in part, "Nursery, landscape, or non-crop land areas treated with PRODIAMINE 65 WDG should be
rotated only to ornamental species listed on this label for 1 year following application unless the following test has shown species safety:

This means your customer will be buying his lettuce at the store for the next two years.

Tags
prodiamine