"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Use this site to measure properties.

http://www.findlotsize.com/
I actually used that earlier and that's where my "I measured it" came from haha.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjw77 View Post
I know this isn't a decision for anyone else to make for me, but I would like the opinions of some who are more experienced than I.

I took this job because it's the first call I recieved. I battled with it for a few hours whether it was the right decision. The house is roughly 25 minutes (14 miles) from my garage. I wasn't originally planning to service this small town but I wasn't sure if I should pass up the opportunity to get my name out. I decided to go for it and try to secure some accounts in the area to hit all in one trip to justify the drive, but if this is the only account I get than I'm actually probably losing money (about 1.5 hour time in drive and service for $35). I can't raise my price much and stay competetive but I can't afford for this to be my only account.

Question is: Would you hang on to this as your only account or drop it before you start the commitment and stay focused on the closer radius?
I wouldn't necessarily drop them but I would try to cluster properties near that one pretty quickly using door hangers or lawn signs then schedule all of those services for the same day. You could also run a CL ad and specifically mention that town as your service area in the ad title. If you have a lettered up truck or trailer people might call just from seeing you in the area and the work you do.

Many of our properties are 14+ miles from us but we cluster them when we can by using door hangers. We live in one town and most of our business is in another larger town so we will have a drive no matter what. You just gotta turn lemons into lemonaide

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 05-19-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Have to start somewhere.

You have to start somewhere and that is as good a place as any to get your feet in the water. It will give you experience, get you out there to be noticed and will motivate you to gain more accounts nearby. You are on the road, which is more than those who sit around and say, "next year I am going to start a lawn business." The first account I took was a dog. The customer was a person I knew and she told me to give her a price and at the time she wanted it just cut once; however, I had read and talked to enough lco's to know that I should offer her a price structure, even it she was not interested. A true once only price, a 10 day schedule, a bi-weekly service or weekly or last but not least the service I prefer and my customers ultimately prefer - unlimited. You are probably saying "that guy needs or is getting too much medication." What it provides is service not based on how often but adjusts as the weather, growing cycle and usage dictates. If it rains like crazy we may cut every four days for a period and then every seven and so on. We guarantee that you lawn always looks "manicured" and if for instance you are having company over for the weekend, we will come by and freshen up so it looks nice. It costs a premium but it has been my biggest money producer for those who really want to have the best. These customers are particular, however, as most in my area never notice, nor do the customers, I have determined that I actually spend only 20 -30 minutes more on each account per month and when the rain fails us I have no need to come in and damage the lawn just to show I was there. If the rain is in excess I sub out the lawn to others who cut only with push mowers so no damage. The customers think they are getting over on me, yet I know how much extra profit this plan provides me. The cost differential for the weekly cut vs. unlimited is 75%. I started this plan when I had few yards and lots of time but kept it due to the great profit margins.

You are off to a great start and as you do more there will be profit in this first account. Don't be afraid to be different or to offer a service no one else offers. Also, keep those church's in mind, they are great accounts; usually nice big open areas. I wish you all the best and unlike most, I tell anyone who wants to join this industry to jump in, but remember some of us like myself love what we do like it is a hobby we get paid for.