Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

havent mulched a whole lot yet, but so far im very happy with my honda hhr. very very good mower!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Toro 21" HD 22176. With the Kaw fj180. Among the beefiest of 21" mowers. Not recommended for tossing in a truck, just plain heavy. Handles just fine though. Never notice the weight till you try to pick it up. Better bring help, or have a stout young back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
This one does really good

Posted via Mobile Device
As this.mower sits from the factory, I feel it lacks in the mulching department. I have one and I am still looking for a dual purpose blade for bagging/mulching. On the other hand, the bagging capabilities of the 21x are fantastic. Overall I wouldn't give mine up for any other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
As this.mower sits from the factory, I feel it lacks in the mulching department. I have one and I am still looking for a dual purpose blade for bagging/mulching. On the other hand, the bagging capabilities of the 21x are fantastic. Overall I wouldn't give mine up for any other.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good to know. Glad I didn't waste $1,000 on one. Not to say that anyone who buys one is wasting money - it's just that it would be a waste for ME.

I'm a firm believer in buying what is best for YOU. If you bag, and that's a great bagger - awesome.
I mulch as much as humanly possible. If I can be steered to a commercial mower that mulches better than the SR4, I'll look into it, but until then, I have the machine that suits my needs.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Toro 21" HD 22176. With the Kaw fj180. Among the beefiest of 21" mowers. Not recommended for tossing in a truck, just plain heavy. Handles just fine though. Never notice the weight till you try to pick it up. Better bring help, or have a stout young back.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you mean 22197 (at least that's the current model for the HD with Kawa). I have the 22195. Same mower, but with Honda engine. Exceptional mower.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are you into mulching so much?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i have 2 newer honda hrr's and an hrx that is about 10 years old and still kicking (just barely) I like how they mulch, its been hard to go to anything else. I did try a toro personal pace and didn't like how it mulched. really like my hondas, Not so bad for mowers not made for commercial use. lol. I have been wanting a 21" exmark, almost bought a used one last week.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro has always been my favorite mulcher but ever since i got my grubby hands on the Time master 30" i gave away my 22" toro. 21" or 22" mowers are obsolete to me now. The 30" is all about mulching. Especially if you want to go over it twice to really chop it fine. I fail to see the reason (outside of saving $500 bucks) to get a 21" anymore.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
Toro has always been my favorite mulcher but ever since i got my grubby hands on the Time master 30" i gave away my 22" toro. 21" or 22" mowers are obsolete to me now. The 30" is all about mulching. Especially if you want to go over it twice to really chop it fine. I fail to see the reason (outside of saving $500 bucks) to get a 21" anymore.
Yes I also agree. Also setting the rear of the mower a notch higher helps.

I didn't want to rain on the parade here so I'm glad someone else brought it up instead.

Have you tried the higher lift Commercial blades on your TimeMaster yet...?

There is an exception to this and that would be the yBravo25 running the 24.5" Oregon® G6 gator blade with the mulch plug installed.

Still testing ....

.....more later....

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I originally wanted a yBravo 25, but when i called they said 1500 bucks+tax, and it was 40 miles away. I haven't tried the commercial blades but i will put that on my list. With 10% off at home depot plus discover card's 5% rebate the Timemaster was 911 dollars total cost. I can be really careful with the home owner model and if it gets me 5 years i'm happy. By then i'm sure a lot of similar twin blade mowers will be on the market to choose from.

TimeMaster wont bag very well, but i almost always mulch. Timemaster cheats by leaving a bit of clippings behind, but that is not always a bad thing. I have an old 2 stroke snapper hi vac if i really need to clean something up. The snapper bags obnoxiously well. I'm talking dust clouds, sucks little rocks up off the ground, quickly filling bags up. The snapper is great for exercise since it takes 3x longer to bag mow with a 21 than it does to mulch it with my 30.