Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2013, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene gls View Post
Did you get rid of your Hustler?
Yes Gene! GONE! I don't know how well you followed my issues over the past 6-7 years, but I've spent more of my OWN money (and a lot of Hustlers) fixing this machine then I did on ALL of my previous mowers over the past 33 years combined!!! I could go on and on about my issues over the years, but they're all on here somewhere.

To reward myself and smear it in the face of Excell Industries I bought a LazerZ.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Yes Gene! GONE! I don't know how well you followed my issues over the past 6-7 years, but I've spent more of my OWN money (and a lot of Hustlers) fixing this machine then I did on ALL of my previous mowers over the past 33 years combined!!! I could go on and on about my issues over the years, but they're all on here somewhere.

To reward myself and smear it in the face of Excell Industries I bought a LazerZ.
How many hours did you have on the Super Z when it sold?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

1806 hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
1806 hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
What were your problems, kinda of try to remember the problems as they occurred and the hours on the engine at the time?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Weak engine
Cobbled together deck (version 1.0 XR-7)
Numerous hydro issues leaving me stranded and winching mower on trailer several times.
Muffler cracking multiple times
Y-pipe cracking
Hydro Idler arm wear
Hydro engine pulley failure
Probably 10 hydro belts over the years

That's about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Weak engine
Cobbled together deck (version 1.0 XR-7)
Numerous hydro issues leaving me stranded and winching mower on trailer several times.
Muffler cracking multiple times
Y-pipe cracking
Hydro Idler arm wear
Hydro engine pulley failure
Probably 10 hydro belts over the years

That's about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I like to see this as a comparison, if I'm not mistaken you had the 60" deck, other than that with had the same 2006 yr. model 28 efi powered Super Z.

I never had (this was within a 1200 hr. time frame) any cracks anywhere, or any structural damage of any type.

I replaced the hydro belt for the third time on my rebuild, nothing really wrong with the belt, just wanted everything new.

I had one pump fail at 1200 hrs., so I left nothing to slip up on me later. I replaced both pumps and wheel motors, that is the only failure I had, other than that I never stopped or found a need to work on the mower in any way, other than blades and service.

I had a cylinder with what I considered excessive wear, something no one else would realize unless physically examining the cylinder. I found such a good deal on a brand new in the box 28 efi ($1210.00) I was not about to rebuild. The cheapest price you can find this engine anywhere is $2800.00

I have a brand new 2006 28 efi / 66" cut Super Z. I replaced all spindles, the electric clutch, the engine, all hydraulics, all hoses and belts, all new relays and wiring, new control panel, new steering arm safety switches, all new idler pulleys, and a brand new Michigan seat that was replaced free of charge because of the way it failed.

If you can remember how good your Super Z did the first week you had it new, then you know exactly how the 2006 I have runs and operates. The 2006 operates as smoothly as my new 2012 HyperDrive system, and the 28 efi starts and runs better than the 35 hp Kawasaki without fuel injection.

You have the best (Delphi components) fuel injection system in the industry, and I am looking forward to hearing more about your experience as it progresses.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Yes, I followed your issues. I had a lot of the same ones plus some you didn't list. It was a learning experience. A very expensive one. My S/Z spent most of the first year of owner ship at the dealers. After 4 years, 2600+ hours, and $33,000.00, it went with the business when I sold out.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Puppy,

Thanks for reminding me... Add two PTO clutches to that list.

I'm going to guess you don't have many HILLS. Maybe some banks, but no big hills?

Gene,

Hopefully the $33K was what you sold your biz for and not what you spent on the SuperZ! I remember talking to you on the phone about the SuperZ....I should have listened better!
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Puppy,

Thanks for reminding me... Add two PTO clutches to that list.

I'm going to guess you don't have many HILLS. Maybe some banks, but no big hills?

Gene,

Hopefully the $33K was what you sold your biz for and not what you spent on the SuperZ! I remember talking to you on the phone about the SuperZ....I should have listened better!
No long pull hills, just minor slopes and road banks. The clutch in my mower was still good at 1200 hrs., I figured it could go at any time, and with everything else new; I was not going to take a chance on the clutch.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Seems like the Super Z is a money pit for most with all these problems. If I had to rebuild at 1200 hours I would be pissed!! Nevermind what TLS and gene gls have spent. Heck I have mowers with 3000+ hours that are still mostly original....
Posted via Mobile Device