Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

these are really made by robin
Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

No offense or whatever taken, RG. I'm doing a poor job of stating that my experience basically begins and ends with RM8001. I know not the 580/8500 or 570/7500. As stated, this Dolmar is quieter...BUT in contrast it 'sounds' different, and in a less powerful kind of way compared to my 8001. But the proof is in the action...and I like it more with each use.

My 8001 will be replaced with one of the above big-boys when the time comes.

Isn't Robin related to Subaru somehow? If so, is Makita Numazu then also?

Is it just me, or does blue just not work/fit well in LCO equip? Makita, Dixon & a few Shindaiwa's I think are blue.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah robin is a subaru engine. they are really good reliable engines.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
No offense or whatever taken, RG. I'm doing a poor job of stating that my experience basically begins and ends with RM8001. I know not the 580/8500 or 570/7500. As stated, this Dolmar is quieter...BUT in contrast it 'sounds' different, and in a less powerful kind of way compared to my 8001. But the proof is in the action...and I like it more with each use.

My 8001 will be replaced with one of the above big-boys when the time comes.

Isn't Robin related to Subaru somehow? If so, is Makita Numazu then also?

Is it just me, or does blue just not work/fit well in LCO equip? Makita, Dixon & a few Shindaiwa's I think are blue.
It does seem that blue equipment is doomed from the start for some reason.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

that's kindof sad because blue is my favorite color.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought one of these last week because, after saying for years I would never buy one, I keep having to borrow one and for a handheld model, I was actually impressed with it. I've only used three blowers in my life, an echo handheld and a stihl handheld, both I used for leaves, and cleanup, then the dolmar. The echo is usable, but gets tiresome, the stihl was utterly useless. Besides being so cold blooded, it requires insane warm-up time, it wouldn't move leaves very well at all, basically all it was good for was requiring a chiropractor visit after each use.

The dolmar is very light on the back, partly due to it's size, partly due to it's weight, and I love the tube mounted throttle. It starts and runs like any quality 4 stroke engine would be expected to, much better than any 2 stroke I've used. I bought the dollar because it came highly recommended by my local dealer, it was on sale for $400, and I want only 4 stroke equipment (runs better, cooler, more efficient, easier starting, low emissions, no oil in the gas), and it uses the same oil as every other engine I own, Mobil 1 synthetic 0w30 (5&10w30 compatible).
Old 07-16-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Congrats on your purchase!!
I'll (also) be converting to full synthetic (Mobil 1 15w-50) oil on my next oil change in both my Dolmar and Honda 4-strokes.

I've since used my 2-stroke RedMax 8001 a few times...and it still moves more air. BUT, I prefer this Dolmar BP due to its compactness and basically odorless 4-stroke exhaust. Because the Dolmar is smaller in overall dimensions, it is therefore easier to sling on my back and feels MUCH lighter than the couple of pounds difference. The stock padding is very comfortable.

Yep, come leaf season...it'll be RedMax time. But the rest of my season this Dolmar BP is my daily workhorse.

If this Dolmar BP sits in the sun, and just like my RedMax BP...I've found that using the primer (on warm restarts) will refill the fuel line w/ fuel and REMOVE the pockets of air that form from vapor-lock/heat issues. It then runs like a champ...and MUCH sooner than if I did not use the primer - prior to a warm restart.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

10w30 is called for, why use an incompatible oil? I always have to use the primer on my trimmer and blower on a warm start, at least I always do...
Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I use the synthetic 0w30 because it covers the 5W30 spec for both cars, the 10W30 spec for my mower and blower, the synthetic 5w30 spec for my trimmer, and the synthetic 0w30 spec for my snowblower (yes, it actually calls for it). the trimmer runs like a dream on it, the cars love it, and we'll see when the time comes to change it in the blower and the snowblower. the mower doesn't seem to care, yet, but I know the synthetic oil will be better for it in the long haul.

I, like you, can't wait until fall to see how this blower does with the leaves, I know it has to be better than the echo hand held, it's clearly many times more powerful than it. I had to buy one blower and only one blower, no room in my budget for this year to have a second one, maybe never will need one, and It's being reinforced more and more that I made the right choice!!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
i have some driveways where even the br600 doesn't have enough power. they are wide driveways so i'm forced to walk up one side and down the other to blow them off. if i had a 580 or 570 i could just walk down the middle one time and blow the whole driveway off in one pass. the br600 does fine on the normal sized driveways that are one lane wide. it's the 2 lanes wide or even 3 or more lanes wide driveways where the extra power would really save alot of time.
This I can't wrap my head around. You have to walk back down the drive anyway and sweeping both sides of the drive in one pass takes longer then splitting the drive in half and walking up and back blowing one way. The br600 has more then enough power for grass and then some. I'm currently running 7500s and I must say I'm surprisingly impressed with them. A bit more power then the br and pretty comfortable considering its wieght. I absolutely hate the left hand throttle though and they are very loud. When it comes time for leaf cleanups Ill only run a br. No blower is more comfortable, lighter, easy to start, quiet, while having the power it does. I'll sacrifice a little bit of power to blow in comfort for 8hrs straight.