Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM

I would pay someone to use a big tractor to finish mower the 11 acres. Bush hog then use a Finish mower to get it down to where it can be mowed. Then go buy a 60 inch Zero turn. You probably want a 60" to do 11+ acres. Hopefully the neighbors will let you use it on their lawns. You don't want to get too heavy and/or big of a mower for such small lawns. Maybe the 60" can be a back up for your JD?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I would pay someone to use a big tractor to finish mower the 11 acres. Bush hog then use a Finish mower to get it down to where it can be mowed. Then go buy a 60 inch Zero turn. You probably want a 60" to do 11+ acres. Hopefully the neighbors will let you use it on their lawns. You don't want to get too heavy and/or big of a mower for such small lawns. Maybe the 60" can be a back up for your JD?
You bring up a good point Charles, and that's the heft & weight that come's along with a lot of the 60"+ commercial zero turn's.

Oh, and I mispoke on my OP. Lawn sizes are about 11,000 sq ft or so, not the entire lot! LOL

Lot sizes are right at about 1/2 acre.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, what a gorgeous piece of land!!!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely Pro-Turn 472 with Kubota diesel is what I would use.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRUSTYx View Post
Hey GC,

Already plan to get a tractor when we build. From what I have seen though ~ I don't like the tractor lawn finishing capabilities, thus the reason why I'm looking for a zero turn (or similar) to do the job Although ~ It may be a pipe dream due to the grade?

Not sure what you've seen, or how someone operated their tractor, or for that matter, if they had it set up concerning blade sharpness and whether or not the deck was leveled and pitched correctly and NOT riding on the gauge wheels or if they were even set correctly for the height of cut.

I can tell you first hand, a properly set up CUT or SCUT with a belly mower will cut as cleanly and stripe as nicely as any Z made.

I've owned several CUT's a Z's on top of a ton of true garden tractors and they do excellent work, and can do it at a decent pace to boot. No slipping or sliding on slippery hills with 4WD tractors (especially when it's wet out) like a Z either.

Use a SCUT/CUT for the large area and hills and get a decent ZTR for the mowing of smaller areas and other folks properties.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I would try and find a 72" ZTR with a diesel engine for the property. But if you are still going to mow the other properties a 60" would be a great compromise. Another huge thing you are going to want to consider is getting the most comfortable riding mower possible. Fields like that definitely can beat the crap out of you and you will have to slow way down. The gravely 400 series fits the bill perfectly. The air ride seat with rubber isolators is much better than your typical spring suspension seat. and Gravelys are a good amount cheaper than other brands also
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules View Post
Wow, what a gorgeous piece of land!!!!!
Thanks Brules We're hoping to build our dream/forever home there some day

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the suggestion ... I'll see if I can get a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Not sure what you've seen, or how someone operated their tractor, or for that matter, if they had it set up concerning blade sharpness and whether or not the deck was leveled and pitched correctly and NOT riding on the gauge wheels or if they were even set correctly for the height of cut.

I can tell you first hand, a properly set up CUT or SCUT with a belly mower will cut as cleanly and stripe as nicely as any Z made.

I've owned several CUT's a Z's on top of a ton of true garden tractors and they do excellent work, and can do it at a decent pace to boot. No slipping or sliding on slippery hills with 4WD tractors (especially when it's wet out) like a Z either.

Use a SCUT/CUT for the large area and hills and get a decent ZTR for the mowing of smaller areas and other folks properties.
Ridin ... appreciate your input. A SCUT would certainly be nice for bushhogging while we are not living there. I don't mind a rotary cutter until we move there, the problem being, I figure I atleast need 4WD, 50+ horses, and to ballast the wheels. All in all ~ I'm looking at an easy $35 - $40k without all the neat attachments. Was hoping to stay within $20ish or perhaps $25ish (where the Ventrac is approx priced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGlandscape View Post
I agree. I would try and find a 72" ZTR with a diesel engine for the property. But if you are still going to mow the other properties a 60" would be a great compromise. Another huge thing you are going to want to consider is getting the most comfortable riding mower possible. Fields like that definitely can beat the crap out of you and you will have to slow way down. The gravely 400 series fits the bill perfectly. The air ride seat with rubber isolators is much better than your typical spring suspension seat. and Gravelys are a good amount cheaper than other brands also
I've never fully tested a commercial ZTR ... I've ridden one or two before, but my little JD takes care of what I need it too now and the several accounts like mine that are all flat.

I guess my main question on a commercial zero turn would be how well does it move through 12"-24" brush/thick grass? Assuming you set the ZTR at the highest level (6" or so).
Old 05-14-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking for a mower to maintain 10+ acres?....here's my 2 cents worth.

I'd look at all of the dealerships that are reasonably close to where you live, and that sell true commercial grade ZTR's. I'd be looking for one with a 72" deck and a (30+ hp) engine. As I'm sure you know, there are pros and cons when comparing diesel engines to gas engines. Which is best?.... that just depends on what you like, and what works best for you. You can use the "search button" here on LS and find endless debates on the subject.

Next I'd want to demo the mower on my own property. If a dealer won't let you demo a mower, personally I'd thank them, then I'd mark them off of my list.

A lot of these true commercial mowers use common "off the shelf" components that are somewhat "standard" among the machines. Again, as I'm sure you know by now, these commercial mowers are very expensive, but if taken care of, they can last for thousands and thousands of hours.

The dealers however, are a different story....they sometimes vary wildly!
I cannot overstate how important a good dealer is. Good or bad, you'll more than likely be dealing with the one you buy from for many years.

Some dealers will bend over backward to help you, while other dealers will try to bend you over forward when "helping you"! (if you catch my drift)

Here is a partial list of true commercial mowers that come to mind (I'm sure I missed several, but I'm sure you can look around online and find a list).
(In no particular order)
Ferris
Gravely
Kubota
Hustler
Bob Cat
ExMark
Bad Boy
John Deere
Scag
Ventrac
Dixie Chopper

Hope this helps you....enjoy the "hunt"!
Stan
Old 05-14-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

*** CUT, not SCUT! My thinking was around a JD 4720 or similar
Old 05-14-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

To save myself the pain, humiliation and embarrassment of finding out the exact reason why that field has been bush hogged for how many years, I would skip the big lawn mower dreams and get a tractor and done, but that's just me.