Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Upgrading 8 lug 7k axle trailer 16" wheels to 19.5s"?

I guess my only question is does anyone make the rim?

We have a 34' gooseneck with dual 7k axles.. The china garbage tires fell apart with very few miles, maybe 3000? maybe much less.

Anyway, i've found some used Goodyear steel radials which are like $400 each new, but just the wrong size.

I see online, you can pickup used 245/70/19.5s which are essentially Load range G motorhome tires and would probably last the life of the trailer.

We primarily use it for equipment, and will easily have a bucket, 10' box and a 9000+ lb john deere skid steer or track machine on it at any one time. We had the 329D JD on it before with an 84" grapple bucket, machine weighs 11,000+ lbs and even with putting more weight on the dually F350 pulling it, is just pushing those tires to the max.

Well the china tires would blow up or fall apart with NO load on them so i don't want to stress out replacement tires, but upgrade because thats the weak point.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just go get some good name brand 10 ply tire for the wheels you have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-05-2013, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred350 View Post
Just go get some good name brand 10 ply tire for the wheels you have.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not alot are made for them... Goodyear has their "Marathons" which are not a terrible tire like some, but still a made in china tire..

Firestone it appears makes a transforce tire http://www.ebay.com/itm/Firestone-Tr...c79aaf&vxp=mtr Which have been great on our other trailers but do wear out quick/average and are susceptible to punctures/holes/damage as much as any car tire would be.

I'm sure each wheel has its own bolt pattern anyway.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've had real good luck with Hankook Dynapro AS, Load range E 245-16's on my 25' 14K trailer. The trailer hauls pretty much everyday and no problems after two years. I originally got a used Hankook to replace one of my fairly new China tires that failed while out on the road. When I got new tires, the used Hankook was the best looking tire out of all of them.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 one ton trucks and 3 trailers all with Firestone transfore load range E. I've had great luck with them. Even on the trailers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-07-2013, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you take one of your wheels to a tire place they can put their wheel bolt pattern gauge on the wheel and tell you the pattern. There will be very few bolts pattern used on 3500, 5000, 7000, 10K & 12K wheels. All of the bolt pattern are ones that have usually been used on trucks or cars in the past.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 04-07-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I run Carlisle tires on my three of my four trailers. My 20' dump trailer still has it's OEM tires on it. Their 16" tires used to be 75 psi and now they are 80 psi.

For truck tires the Michelin LTX MS seems to be dealing with extreme loads the best. I never get more then 30-35K out of a set of tires because towing 20-33K causes a lot of wear. I'm on the first set of Michelin's I've had in a while and so far so good.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I run Carlisle tires on my three of my four trailers. My 20' dump trailer still has it's OEM tires on it. Their 16" tires used to be 75 psi and now they are 80 psi.

For truck tires the Michelin LTX MS seems to be dealing with extreme loads the best. I never get more then 30-35K out of a set of tires because towing 20-33K causes a lot of wear. I'm on the first set of Michelin's I've had in a while and so far so good.
I run the exact same tires.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

go to 17.5 tires and wheels, that is what we did. 215-17.5 14 ply 4800lb single rated 235-17.5 16 ply 6800lb rated. We switched 3 trailers over, one had 10.00 15's so 17.5 is direct replacement, other was tri axle gooseneck and the last one was 22' PJ bumper pull. Made a huge difference on the trailers where it replace 16's. Rims are a lot thicker(we were tearing centers out of the 16's), tires are cheap(new one are same price as 14 ply 16's) we get them used locally for 75 with 50% thread. A good number of new 90's plus lowboy trailers run them. It is a little time consuming and work to switch over, 17.5's only come in 5/8 studs(or at least the ones I found). We have redneck trailer(wholesale trailer parts, I think their are 30 or so stores throughout US) went their with old 9/16 stud got a 5/8 stud with similar specs and drilled out all of my hubs and pounded in new studs. I will never run a 16" on a trailer again!! It is well worth the time, just look at it this way, you can re-lube your bearings and check your brakes!!