Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Dead Zoysia

I was gone for a month and my irrigation system evidently quit for about two weeks and with the hot S. Florida weather my zoysia is brown completely wherever it is in full sun. Will it come back?
Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Most likely it will come back. You might have to patch some areas here and there that don't recover as well.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

I hope it comes back and I am watering every other day until I see signs of life. The tropical signal grass survived nicely and is easy to see now.
This empire zoysia has been a pain to start since I put it in almost a year ago but where it is established and not in complete sunlight it isn't badly damaged.
Might use this opportunity to do some leveling and put some sand out.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It probably want come out of it's dormancy for 15-20 days. Even if it takes a bit longer, don't give up on it. You can't really force it to come out. Just stick with a normal watering schedule. Wait for some recovery before sanding.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

I appreciate the advice. I'll go back to normal watering and hold off on the sanding. I'll let you know how this works out. It really looks bad now.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Because the zoysia has rhizomes (and stolons) it usually recovers pretty well from drought injury. This is assuming, of course, that it was established on site before the damage occurred. I concur with others...water and watch. Topdressing / sanding can come later.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Established

This Empire Zoysia was relatively well established. I'll explain; I sodded the yard last July which happened to be a very wet time, even for Florida. With all the moisture the sod in many places did not send down deep roots because it didn't have too. I could pull up green sod 3 months after it was put down! I would NEVER establish Zoysia again during the rainy season as I believe you must control moisture to encourage deep root growth. However, it is what I have and hopefully it will come back. I am seeing some signs of life already. Zoysia is NOT the low maintenance grass people think it is but when established and cared for properly it is worth the trouble to some. As I only have about 4000 sq ft the maintenance doesn't bother me.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You're right, it's not low maintenance. There are plenty of people around here who bought into the marketing and dug up lawns full of nice St Augustine and put this stuff in there. I begged a friend of mine not to do it, but even I couldn't convince him. He's never been happy with it. Honestly, it looks pretty good about 10 weeks out of the year. I told him we could plug it with SA and it would probably take over in a year or two
Old 05-15-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Its not low maintenance, but its not high maintenance either. I've yet to see an empire zoysia yard that is mowed, irrigated, and fertilized properly have a high need for weed, fungus, or pest control. The problem is a lot of guys cut at 4" and f up all the things i said and the people are scratching their heads wondering what happened....we've beat this horse on here plenty of times, but imo empire zoysia is pretty easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have 2 empire yards; 1 that gets cut with a 27" Tru-cut and one with my blade. The bigger one that I've been doing for 2 years and have been cutting at 1.75-2" does not need to be verticut at all. The one i cut with my blade was just verticut scalped and sanded and i can now keep at 1.25" no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device