Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Which color temp would you prefer to work with as a "standard" color.
warmer white- 2700k 6 42.86%
warm white- 3000k 8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What color do you prefer?

I am curious with so many LED's out on the market with varying color temps, what is the preferred color temp most of you guys would like to work with? If you had to choose one color to work with for all of your basic lighting, what would you choose? Would you go warmer with 2700k, or a little whiter with 3000k? This forum has been a little slow lately, so let's strike up some discussion as to what you would choose and why you would prefer it. Maybe some industry manufacturers will be watching and hearing our thoughts.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com

Last edited by Lite4; 05-15-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the everyday up light bullet, I prefer a 2900k. I find it is a good overall color for brick or vinyl siding. Just my personal preference after installing and critiquing an array of 2700k-3000k lamps. 2900k is also acceptable for landscape plants and trees.
Not to get off topic but I prefer moonlighting lamps at 4000k.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I went back and forth on this one. I like 2700 for its warm look on stucco and some fountains, but when I really started looking at what I am using now (GE constant color), I am pushing 2900 to 3000k on my light. If I had to choose only one color of light source in LED I would need to take into consideration that a bulk of the lighting I do is on green plant material as well as architecture. 2700k is nice, but it is closer to HPS in the fact that it tends to wash out and mute some of the green tones in plant material, where 3000k tends to give a more true rendering and still looks fantastic and warm on architecture. If a filter could be put on a 2700 to bring it to 3000k or even 4000k without messing up the CRI then that would be something to have that full range of color in one product, or if the LED had a chipset that allowed a color shift on the same board. Just thinking out loud-Anyone else? Over 100 looks and only 3 votes, come on professionals, cast your vote and give us your thoughts on your choice.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-17-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The worst thing I have seen and experienced in my career has been the adoption of LED lighting by those people who have no understanding of the nature of artificial light. You can see it everywhere now, and the look is not pretty. What I m talking about is the use of multiple colour temps (and varying CRI) on the same job. I am not referring necessarily to the use of one colour for downlighting and one for all the rest... So relax those of you who prefer 4000k for downlighting..... What I mean is the seeming lack of understanding about how relatively small changes in colour have a horrible affect on the property as a whole.

2700 here, 2900 There, 3000 over yonder and some seriously mixed up colour shifting crap inside all of the miniature fixtures. Barf. If the flood of cheap low quality lamps doesn't kill our clients interest in outdoor lighting then it will surely be the guys who don't understand how to paint with light. ( on the other hand, this can play into the pro's favour, if they know how to package the info and deliver it during the proposal delivery to the client.)

I'm a 3000k ( with a high CRI and special attention to R9 ) kinda guy.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

James, You are certainly right about the "rainbow" of colors that are present in todays LED offerings. One of the worst I have seen is from a major player in the LED game, and we don't have to think hard about who it is. I held up one of their 16" LED light bars up against a white wall this week to look at it, and although the "color" was 3000k, they are obviously not too selective in the binning process of their chips since the CRI of the diodes was completely inconsistent from diode to diode. Against the light colored wall some of the diodes were a nice warm yellow, some had a green hue while others had a purple cast to them. "simply nausiating", and I didn't even mention the little hot spots they projected under them.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

i prefer 5000k
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iand View Post
i prefer 5000k
Can you tell us why you prefer this color temp of light? 5000k seems an odd choice for a primary color but I am always open to learning why other folks choose the products and in this case the color temps they do.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-18-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am back and forth as well. oddly 3000k seems very bright next to a white stone or white surface. so I am 2700k on lighter colors. but on dark brown stone and wood, red leaf ornamental trees, 3000k looks very good. But I am not a fan of stocking all retro bulbs in all lumens, spreads and all colors. The inventory cost on LED is insane.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

353 views and only 7 have taken the poll?!? Come on people, you don't have to comment, but do vote.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer 3000K across the board, high CRI as well.
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere