Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

2013 Snapper Hi-Vac 21'' Mower Review

Hi, guys, just this past Tuesday I received a Snapper 21'' mower for my birthday. I tried it out yesterday and decided to give a review on it. We'll start from the handle and controls down.

1) Handle and Operator Controls:

The handle and controls are good quality. This has the typical throttle control, infinitely variable drive speed control, bail bar, transmission engagement lever, and the starter handle. The handle has a comfortable foam grip. All of this is shown in (picture 1).

The only complaint I have for the handle is the little plastic covering that protrudes out over the starter rope hook (picture 2). If the cord isn't in the little pulley system, the cord cuts into the plastic. The pulley fell off on my older Snapper Commercial 21'', and you will see what I had to do to keep the cord from fraying (picture 3).

The whole handle assembly is very sturdy, and even without the extra braces that the commercial 21'' has, it does not have any wiggle or play.

2) Drive System:

All I can say is that I love the Snapper drive system. I've never had any problems with them, even on the other 2 Snapper mowers that we own. However, the drive disc is smaller and thinner on the Hi-Vac (picture 4) versus the drive disc on the commercial 21'' (picture 5). However, for the work I do, I do not see this as a problem. I love how this mower has a differential and infinitely variable drive control. These systems are low maintenance and easy to service.

3) Engine:

The Snapper Hi-Vac 21'' comes with a Briggs & Stratton 725EX engine. It's 190 CC with 7.25 foot pounds of torque. It starts on the first or second pull...which is sometimes easier than the Honda GXV160 on the commercial 21''! (Picture 6)

4) Deck/Mowing Abilities:

This mower is built with quality construction. The hi-vac deck is strong, and the hi-vac blade that completes it makes bagging very effective. I have not yet had any yard to try out the mulching abilities on for this particular mower, but I'm sure that it is just as good as the commercial 21'' (they have the same blade).

5) Miscellaneous Specifications/Items:

The Snapper Hi-Vac 21'' is 85 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than it's commercial 21'' counterpart. You can definately feel it. The plastic wheels are high quality and if they need replacing, Snappers are pretty much universal, so I bet some heavy duty steel wheels will fit on there just fine. As with most Snapper 21'' mowers, they have solid steel front and rear axels. The only problem I had was with the back right hight adjuster. It seems as though the axel shimmies to the left, resulting in the hight adjuster not wanting to disengage. I had to simply pull the wheel/axel to the right, and that freed the adjuster right up. The grass bag has a big hinged door that swings open easily for fast dumping of clippings.

6) Conclusion:

Get this mower or get the Ninja mulcher version! These Snapper mowers are built old school, with good quality construction. With nearly maintenance free drive systems and well thought-out controls at the finger tips, plus good engine choices, these are the mowers to get.

I hope this helps you guys out! Thanks, Will.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks! Great review.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My Snapper is 12 years old and still running, Im thinking of a new one this year.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Here are the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
My Snapper is 12 years old and still running, Im thinking of a new one this year.
Yeah my brother has one going on it's second engine, as do we at my dad's business (same situation with engines too).

We had an old Scotts mower that we found was too dangerous to keep using as the wheel/handle could literally break off at any moment, due to the deck being so rusted out...it was held on by about 3/4 of an inch of rusty metal. We called it the "swiss cheese mower" because it was so rusty.

So we quickly retired that one, bought a new one for me (at our house) and are moving the older commercial 21'' up to the office.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Can you remove that cup holder stuff??

I think I got the last year that they didn't put on cup holders.

Mine has a Robin engine, wish I could buy another with the same engine but the engine has been discontunied years ago.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Can you remove that cup holder stuff??

I think I got the last year that they didn't put on cup holders.

Mine has a Robin engine, wish I could buy another with the same engine but the engine has been discontunied years ago.
There are 4 torx screws holding on the cup holder, and a screw through the big red handle on top of the speed control that would let that side just slide through the cup holder assembly, but I don't know how you get the top of the throttle control handle off. You could always cut the plastic part off, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want that part gone?
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillsLandscape View Post

Just out of curiosity, why would you want that part gone?
To save the starter rope
Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
To save the starter rope
You can either do like I did in the 3rd picture by cutting off the little plastic protective thing, or take the rope off of the handle and just bend down the the motor and get the cord from there when you to start it...I'd suggest the first idea...way easier to do.