Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

is it to late to advertize

do yall think its to late to advertise and try to get new mowing accounts im thinking it is.... because mowing has more then already started here in lancaster pa any advise?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Is it ever too late? Who's to say you will not get any work out of it.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i mean is it to late to expect a desent rate of new accounts
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I started my business in the middle of a summer a few years back. I really do not think people are think all winter who am I going to use. Most of them wait to the last minute to decide to use somebody or change or one time clean ups or trimming.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Never too late to advertise.
50" Toro zero turn
36" John Deere WB
Husqvarna 22" push mower
Echo trimmers,edger and blower
Other misc rakes, shovels etc.

www.fatzlawncare.com
Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

It's never too late. I believe you should be getting your name out there all year round.

Think about what your ideal customer is looking for or thinking about right now, and create your advertising around that need. The message has to marry up with the need (regardless of the time of year).
Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You will almost always pick up new accounts by advertising. Your best bang for the buck is obviously in the month prior to the season starting, but you will pick up new accounts throughout the season. I'm going to get baked for saying this, but if you're looking to pick up several lawns quickly do whatever it takes to get them (short of under-pricing them). And advertise everywhere it's feasible. Newspaper, craigslist, put a sign on your truck and on the back of your trailer. When you see a lawn that is overgrown stop and ring the doorbell. If no one answers leave a flyer/card. Talk with other LCOs in your area and ask for lawns they'd like to get rid of. Talk with guys that do lawn treatments, landscaping, etc. but don't do mowing. Offer them cash for every lawn they refer to you that you are able to land the account. And pay them ASAP afterward....trust me they'll get you more business than you're able to handle.

I've never been afraid of embarassing myself or thought I was too good to do anything to drum up business. I've knocked on doors. I've cold called realtors with for-sale signs in overgrown lawns. Act like you are hungry and you'll thrive. Do whatever it takes. Just don't underprice an account to land it. There's more than enough business for all of us. Go get your share of it!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey waid View Post
I started my business in the middle of a summer a few years back. I really do not think people are think all winter who am I going to use. Most of them wait to the last minute to decide to use somebody or change or one time clean ups or trimming.
I agree with this. Advertise all year round...maybe the response rate will be lower, but you'll still be gaining customers.

You just never know when someone wants your service. And if you make advertising part of your schedule, you'll be advertising when they're "hopefully" looking.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is it to late to advertize

My phone has been ringing off the hook. I advertised last year in August and picked up 15 customers. When ever I advertise I always get work.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I get the majority of new clients during the early stages of summer. All of the college kids and mowing beer bandits get burnt out during this time. A lot of them bite off more than they can mulch and shut down shop when it stops being fun. I laugh all the way to the bank every Sunday to make my deposits. Good luck and it is NEVER too late to advertise. Just make sure you can handle what you may get.