Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
Dan,

No need to worry about your seed rotting. It's much too early in our season to see Pythium. That typically starts to happen a little later in the season for us up here. I think you'll be perfectly fine. Let us know how it's progressing.
thanx Pete, well i am already seeing new grass in my very thin areas and my other grass is greening up slowly because of the watering. i know this is PRG but nice to see some progress.

I find myself constantly looking over my area that was not thin for growth but nothing yet. Yes I know i have alot of time on my hands!

Before I seeded i hadnt put on any water and we had a very dry April so my grass was pretty beat.

I am making sure i still have some top soil on thinning areas, we had some heavy rain so i replaced what was washed away.

I have pulled back on watering when we actually get rain but normally i am having irrigation on VERY short at 5am 1230pm and 545pm.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's good. Hang in there. Nothing is growing the way it should right now due to the wacky weather (no rain/cold nights). With each passing day though, good things are coming.

For what it's worth, early last week I had to reseed the first 12 inches of my front lawn as the winter snow plow driver peeled it up and took it with him. I put down the 50/50 Blue/Rye mix and I'm beginning to see the Rye already. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-30-2013, 03:26 AM
LawnSite Member

well most of my seed is sprouting I think I have a problem with the overseed on my KBG sod as I do no think anything "took".

But on my other sections I saw some fantastic growth.

Has anyone had a problem with getting grass to grow around the sprinkler heads?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One of the areas in which the dormant seeding has not yet taken at all was also pure KBG... I need to look again after the couple of rainstorms in the past week...
Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
One of the areas in which the dormant seeding has not yet taken at all was also pure KBG... I need to look again after the couple of rainstorms in the past week...
Axe, you are the eternal optimist! John Cleese's parrot has a better chance of being alive at this point!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselMDX View Post
well most of my seed is sprouting I think I have a problem with the overseed on my KBG sod as I do no think anything "took".

But on my other sections I saw some fantastic growth.

Has anyone had a problem with getting grass to grow around the sprinkler heads?
Was the KBG sod thick in those areas that you wanted to see growth? If so, there may not be any room for those seeds to grow. However, it's good to see that you got great growth in those other sections. Those areas around the sprinkler heads, did you put down any new soil or rough up the existing soil (it's tough for a slice seeder to get up close to a sprinkler head without damaging it).
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

I would say it was thicker than my other sections but not up to where i wanted it to be

that is EXACTLY what i did, thanx cobra i will throw some seed on there when i put down my second round of starter
Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No problem. Soften up that soil, sprinkle in some seed, press it into the soil with the palm of your hand or the sole of your shoe, and then lay a little additional seed on top. It should grow around the heads.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not a big fan of mechanical pressing of the soil to "settle" the loosened soil back down to normal mass... this process causes unusable compaction in all but the sandiest of soils... I always "settle" the loosened soil with flooding when possible...
Mechanical pressing of soil can cause 'puddling' and eternal barespots in the turf...
Old 06-01-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Not a big fan of mechanical pressing of the soil to "settle" the loosened soil back down to normal mass... this process causes unusable compaction in all but the sandiest of soils... I always "settle" the loosened soil with flooding when possible...
Mechanical pressing of soil can cause 'puddling' and eternal barespots in the turf...
This has been my experience as well. Seedlings want light, well-aired soil. I've had situations where you can see them germinate under the soil, but never break through to the outside because the soil on top of them is too dense and traps them. Now, on bare spots on clay soil, I often use a power drill with a 1/4" drill bit to punch a bunch of 5 inch deep holes in the dirt, which core aerates/loosen the compaction underneath, then I lightly mix the seed in on the crumbled top, and cover with the minimal layer of light compost, spray just enough to moisten, only if needed. Takes a little more time, but the results are a lot better.