Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gravely 460 QOC Questions

I have been demoing a Gravely 460 this week and I have to say I am kinda disappointed in the mower. The ride is comfortable and the hydros are silky smooth but I am finding the cut is just a little off for some reason. I have heard nothing but good reviews about these mowers but I have to say I don't think the finished product is as good as people are saying. It seems to cut clean and discharges great but when you look down the stripe it has these funny lines in them. I first thought it was the rear scalp wheels but I don't think that is it because of the location of the lines. I am kind of wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it is a easy fix. I'm going to mention it to my dealer tomorrow when I drop it off and see if he has any suggestions. I am going to be getting a very large commercial property starting in late July early August when the other guys contract runs out. I am going to need to add a rider at that time so I am demoing now to see which cuts the best in the worst conditions. I have ran Deere but they are just getting stupid expensive and I am not real fond of my local dealer. The other dealers around are Snapper, Ferris, Scag, Grasshopper, Toro and Gravely. I'm not a big Scag fan but the Velocity deck does cut extremely well. My friend sells Snapper but I am unsure if they are good machines or not. I like Toro but the dealer is kinda a joke whenever you call he is always bad mouthing all the other brands and that is annoying to me. It just sucks cause there is really no other good dealers besides Gravely and if the mowers cut like this I am stuck. So what do you guys think? I would probably add a strip kit to it and that may solve the issues but I don't want to buy something and then regret the decision.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Take a photo of the cut
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 06:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had cut issues with mine last year leaving a lot of stringers. This season it has been cutting like a carpet. There is a anti scalp roller under the deck directly to the back middle. I had to raise mine up as I was getting lines depending on cutting height. I actually have all the rollers on the highest postion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Between myself and ProStreetComaro there are hundreds of X-Factor stripe pics on this site. Amazing stripes! But I do remember in one of the threads I commented on a fine fescue lawn I was cutting 4+ inches off a week on during the spring and I could see anti scalp lines on. As the growth slowed it never happened again and never did on any other of my properties. Please post some pics because, no this is not normal for the X-Factor deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Every once in a while I will see stripes from the anti scalp rollers but it doesnt happen often. It is usually only on a very deep lawn. Mine are all down in the normal positions.

Here is one you can see it. This lawn was very deep and soaking wet. First lawn of the day and it rained the previous night.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)