Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

who talks about other lawn services

my helper talks about other lawn services as we drive around. He will say look at that crappy job so and so does. Do you guys critique other lawn guys as you see them working. He will point out what they missed or what they screwed up on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

At least he knows his stuff. I really don't say much unless its totally dumb like at my bank. Newly built last fall new sod as well. Dummies mow it at 2". 4" would have been right. They also took a factory away on another lco and wacked it down to 2". I put feet down at a town home complex and timed them. Took him nearly an hour with s Deere x759 to cut a 50x50 piece
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2013, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I do, but I keep it to myself. I think it's a healthy thing to do in order to keep you from making the same mistakes. But you also have to keep yourself humble, because you know they're doing it to your work as well.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Shoot, I talk about other LCOs all the time. It's almost always good. I don't see many guys that do such a horrible job. About my only pet peeve is watching them dig ruts when it's wet. Other than that most of these guys do as good or better job than I do.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My son does it as we ride around, but I remind him that some people just want their grass cut and that's what some people do. If they want their grass to look nice, they get us to mow it.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The areas I work in the fellers generally do super quality work, its hard to compete ate the prices in this aera, but if you don't make your houses look real good someone else will.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
My son does it as we ride around, but I remind him that some people just want their grass cut and that's what some people do. If they want their grass to look nice, they get us to mow it.
True. I have customers that want a great looking lawn. One that does not fert, water, nothing but have it mowed. So the quality does not alway reflect on the landscaper.

The thing I tend to notice is where the edging whether along the side walk, drive way, patio, curb, there is a 1 inch wide strip of bare dirt between the aforemention surfaces and the grass.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i rarely notice anything done correctly. maybe every now and then. mostly what jumps out at me is the mistakes they all make.

crooked lines, sidewalks not edged or edged poorly with a trimmer, ruts, grass 2ft tall in a ditch because they were too scared they may get stuck and too lazy to trim it down as well, crews using homeowner equipment.

the big surprise is i notice this on major places like banks, schools, restaurants, gas stations, etc.

i notice it on residentials too sometimes but on commercials it just really stands out as they do a bad job.

i don't really talk about it but i just don't understand it alot of times.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You really have to do something stupid to offend me enough to make me talk about your work. I do not go around checking my competitors workmanship. What I notice more is majorly unsafe work practices or just inconsiderate jerks like the guys wacking crack weeks and shooting rocks and sand everywhere that can't be bothered to look up every few seconds and make sure no one is going to be driving by. I mean god forbid he doesn't get his chance to ruin someones paint job on a new car or truck.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yeah, there's a guy in town that takes care of a shopping center, and he doesn't bother to pick up any trash. He just shreds it with the mower and blows it everywhere, even into the street, then just leaves it
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.