Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tell you one thing i like international trucks but the one i have a 2004 international 4300 series is an ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE. I just had it out with them the other day on recalls that i never received. I have mostly ford f-650 and 750s with cat engines and now after reading there not offering this engine anymore i feel like im going to get screwed with them in my trucks. I hope they hold up well. But that terrastar looks nice I would def take another look at international because they SUPPOSEDLY have no more electrical gremlins. I sure hope they changed those god dam mirror brackets all they do is shake when your driving down the road
Old 03-15-2010, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Then disregard my above post about it maybe not happening. I'm surprized there's no info/word about it on the website 'tho...
http://www.glgroup.com/News/Navistar...ins-31411.html
2004 Chevy C4500 W/12' Monroe Dump DURAMAX/ALLISON 105,000 Miles
2008 Royal Cargo 8.5'x18' Trailer

SCAG & ECHO POWER EQUIPMENT

"While your Strokin and Cummin.. I'll be takin your girl to the Max"
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02DURAMAX View Post
Let me rephrase, I'm surprized there's nothing recent. That one's from over a year ago. Could be where I originally heard about it. Thanks anyway...
Old 05-17-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as I know, the block design for the Maxxforce 13 was bought from Cat and then went and made their changes to it- DPF/DOC, all that EGR crap. The Maxxforce 7 is pretty much an updated version of either a 365 or 275 international motor, I'm not sure exactly. Kind of like the Maxxforce DT/9/10 are based off the 466 block. (All this is what I learned/was told while working at an International Dealership during my second year of Tech School- Diesel Mechanic)

I believe the 15L idea was thrown out there to see how much interest there would be, but with how terrible the 13's were/are I think they decided to throw it out the window. One thing about any of the international engines is the recalibratoins /DOC cleanings/ and recalls that need to be done it can cause some down time, depending obviously on your ability to get it to the shop when you're not using it.

School buses for example, a company in town has all IH buses, there was one week where all I did for 8 hrs/4 days was recalibrate ECMs, then run a DOC cleaning.

The maxxforce 7 which is in the terrastars was one of the motors where they required an engine update and a cleaning.

Enough of my rant, I think everything past the flywheel is solid in those trucks, in front of the flywheel I have my doubts. I wasn't around there long enough to see how well the new ones they sold held up.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Gates View Post
As far as I know, the block design for the Maxxforce 13 was bought from Cat and then went and made their changes to it- DPF/DOC, all that EGR crap. The Maxxforce 7 is pretty much an updated version of either a 365 or 275 international motor, I'm not sure exactly. Kind of like the Maxxforce DT/9/10 are based off the 466 block. (All this is what I learned/was told while working at an International Dealership during my second year of Tech School- Diesel Mechanic)

I believe the 15L idea was thrown out there to see how much interest there would be, but with how terrible the 13's were/are I think they decided to throw it out the window. One thing about any of the international engines is the recalibratoins /DOC cleanings/ and recalls that need to be done it can cause some down time, depending obviously on your ability to get it to the shop when you're not using it.

School buses for example, a company in town has all IH buses, there was one week where all I did for 8 hrs/4 days was recalibrate ECMs, then run a DOC cleaning.

The maxxforce 7 which is in the terrastars was one of the motors where they required an engine update and a cleaning.

Enough of my rant, I think everything past the flywheel is solid in those trucks, in front of the flywheel I have my doubts. I wasn't around there long enough to see how well the new ones they sold held up.
The 15l is a cat block and gear train, the 11&13s are made by MANN out of germany, the maxxforce DT,9&10 are a 466&570. The 7 is the new VT365. The 275the was a v6.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well, this thread started a few years ago. Any updates on opinions of the TerraStar Maxforce7. I've been in the market for a truck, and these seem to be a little less expensive than the competition, and with more horsepower 300 vs 220 in some of the Isuzu, and Hino, vs Ford & Dodge. I don't want a Ford, never wanted a Dodge, but I'd now consider it because they probably have the best engine, except there's no Dodge dealers that seem to deal in 450's 550's
Old 08-19-2013, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with a DT not a 7. But you would have to step up from a terrastar to a durastar. Only thing the 7s are any good in is school buses. They just don't have the torque to run anything heavy and end up getting the snot run out of them.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey duellyvette, terrastar gonna be available with a Cummins by the end of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device