Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2013, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

well my father thought hed do me a favor and he turned on a watering tool which puddled badly and created a "water wash-out" area where the ground has been washed away by the water and really just made a mess. i worked all that out last weekend and he just re created the whole dang thing!
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Two options:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...0&postcount=24

and/or buy a controller that will do the above for you ( ex. ESP-SMT ).

BTW, that controller also has a grow in feature in its scheduling options.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

kiril...thanks for the link but i dont understand any of it past fist paragraph or two.
Silencer ring MIA, Muffler/Res. MIA, FASS 150/95 GPH, Edge Comp, Boost Elbow, AutoMeter Boost, Pyro and Fuel Pressure gauges, LT285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT tires, Amsoil Nanofiber 4510 Air intake filter, Amsoil Synthetic fluids top to bottom and front to rear, B&M Racing T Handle shift knob, Cobra 29 WX NW ST CB Radio, Kenwood KDC-MP425 Head Unit, Kenwood speakers front and rear
Old 05-18-2013, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

CTD, you'll need to become HIGHLY educated to understand that if the ground is getting dry ,,, perhaps turn the sprinklers on and as the ground begins to puddle ,, shut them off...

A lot of 'educated' people use machines to let them know how this process works, becuz it is SO complicated to figure out...

My advice is don't overthink it, becuz this time of year we've been getting germination with NO irrigation and the rains come only about once a week...
Old 05-18-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD_Crazed View Post
kiril...thanks for the link but i dont understand any of it past fist paragraph or two.
Then perhaps you are a candidate for the controller.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What are the varieties in the seed you just put down? From your pictures, it looks like a challenging area in terms of both light, soil drainage, and erosion control. I think you need to get some turf started real fast with a perennial rye (per agrostis 5/4) and fine fescue (chewings/red), and then try to fill in with with more optimal varieties later. Hope it goes well!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

well actually, a lot of what ive planted is coming in rather nicely. the seed i laid last weekend is beginning to come in and the first area i planted a few weeks ago is growing nicely.

obviously i do NOT expect full coverage after planting, however, i will continue to over seed a couple times a year until it fills in enough that im happy with the results.

maynard - heres the grass seed ive been planting.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sco.../prod10720046/

The Scotts Turf Builder Midwest Mix contains:
10% Blue Bonnet Kentucky Bluegrass
10% Kenblue Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Majesty Perennial Ryegrass
20% Ascend Perennial Ryegrass
15% Trapeze Creeping Red Fescue
20% Boreal Creeping Red Fescue
Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD_Crazed View Post
well actually, a lot of what ive planted is coming in rather nicely. the seed i laid last weekend is beginning to come in and the first area i planted a few weeks ago is growing nicely.

obviously i do NOT expect full coverage after planting, however, i will continue to over seed a couple times a year until it fills in enough that im happy with the results.

maynard - heres the grass seed ive been planting.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/sco.../prod10720046/

The Scotts Turf Builder Midwest Mix contains:
10% Blue Bonnet Kentucky Bluegrass
10% Kenblue Kentucky Bluegrass
25% Majesty Perennial Ryegrass
20% Ascend Perennial Ryegrass
15% Trapeze Creeping Red Fescue
20% Boreal Creeping Red Fescue
Thank you for posting. Varietally, that looks like a good blend to me. The negative is the low quality of the KBGs, which are obsolete, disease susceptible cultivars. Kenblue is a standard entry in the NTEP bluegrass trials, where it consistently finishes at the bottom for turfgrass quality. I'm surprised that a name-brand company like Scott's would use them, as kenblue and blue bonnet are generic grade. The PRGs are not top tier, but they are fine.

Last edited by maynardGkeynes; 05-19-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

well the main thing to me is its growing - i can always overseed with something better later this year, i just want grass right now haha