LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
For Greenology:
Much appreciated! Cheers
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OH BOY!!!!

Where do I begin. My first full week of mowing and I have been dying to update everyone since Tuesday!!

If your a cut quality freak like me your going to love this deck!!!

I expected better discharge, which it does but I didn't expect the adjustable baffles to work as good as they do!! The range of adjustability is amazing. My Scag adjustable baffles have been on the middle setting since 2006 because the change is just minimal. Not so with the XF2. It came in the all the way up position which I found creates a wide open deck performance like the Velocity. Great for wet tall grass with hardly any clumping as my previous pics show. Dropped a 1/2" creates more lift and a XF1 feel. Dropped to 1" and the lift and discharge start to really pic up as this has been my go to setting so far. More lift than my XF1 had and the discharge is going three rows over!! Dropped to 1 1/2" and total Exmark feel. Huge lift and dandelions stand no chance! Dropped all the way down and you have a dethatcher...I was pulling thatch, rocks, and sand out of the turf and plastic bags 2 feet away were getting sucked in!!

This thing is crazy adjustable as the baffles have slots in them so you can raise or lower in any increments you want. I don't know if the Gravely engineers planned it this way or it just happened but this has to be the most versatile deck on the market. I cant wait to try this in dry summer conditions like last season. Especially the dry fine fescue that caused everyone so much trouble last year.

Now the down side is people may leave the baffles in the all the way up or down positions and not know any better. It could create some confusion for those who don't understand how it works. For those people the 1/2" down position would be good in most conditions. But for people like me this is heaven!!!
Gravely needs to create and patent B.O.D, Baffles on Demand. A way to change the position from the cockpit!!!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's great to hear!

That sounds like what I need right now- BOD for my MOD
Old 05-18-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Also have a couple pics. I want to add the the lower the baffles are the darker the stripes become. Although the grass here has a long way to go still. We have only been cutting for a week.

On the last pic the customer was driving across the lawn...so it wasn't me.
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice. That's good news

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 05-18-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GMLC-

It looks like you need to raise the center gauge wheels to the top setting, or at least I assume that is what is making the narrrow stripe down the center of the cut.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
GMLC-

It looks like you need to raise the center gauge wheels to the top setting, or at least I assume that is what is making the narrrow stripe down the center of the cut.
Yup, they are all on the lowest setting. I forgot I raised the center wheels on my XF1.

The grass is growing fast now too. Taking off a lot more than a 1/3....probably taking off more than double!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yup, they are all on the lowest setting. I forgot I raised the center wheels on my XF1.

The grass is growing fast now too. Taking off a lot more than 1/3....
Posted via Mobile Device
I envy you. We really need rain. We are already getting the blue/grey color to the grass here. I am watering the snot out of my own yard today instead of mowing it. I can clearly see my foot prints when I walk across it.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just some useful info for any X-Factor owners. I have my deck pitched 1/4". If you measure from the top of the deck to the bottom of the front adjustment bolts you should get 1 1/4", from the top of the deck to the bottom of the rear adjustment bolts is 1". I know manufacturing can vary some but my FX1 was set up the same way. This should get you in the ballpark so you can fine tune from there. Most dealers dont set up decks correctly as we know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quick update. Things are really wet here. Grass is growing fast and is thick now. This deck can really throw huge volumes of grass! And disperse it well. BUT I feel it also uses more power. I will be checking my GPH soon to see if Im right. Also with the baffels down in the wet grass it does get packed in the front a bit. No clumps but I had to hose it out at the end of the day. With the baffels up the deck self cleans really well in the wet stuff. So for wet cutting I recommend the baffels in the up position.
Posted via Mobile Device