Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Echo SRM 265s

I have a 265 thatran great. I put a new piston and rings in and ran great but now all it does is idle and if u squeeze the throttle it will slowly bog down till it dies. I just put brand new carb on and still same thing happens.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1010 View Post
I have a 265 thatran great. I put a new piston and rings in and ran great but now all it does is idle and if u squeeze the throttle it will slowly bog down till it dies. I just put brand new carb on and still same thing happens.
Have you removed the spark arrester screen on the muffler ?

Take the muffler off and check the exhaust port.

If the exhaust port is clean, start it with out the muffler and see if there is a change.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-18-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well if you put anew piston and ring in then I guess you ran raw gas. And if that was teh case you likely damaged the cyclinder. And since this is a one ring unit that is bad. But no need to get a new carb just get a kit and find the adjustment needles and you will be fine. Also clean up the exhaust port.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

i have tried it without muffler and no change. Yes raw gas did get ran in it but cylinder checked out ok cause caught it early. It ran great for a long time after piston and ring job but all of a sudden one day went to start it and this happened. Could it be ignition timing somehow? I already put a new carb on it so thats definitly not the problem
Old 05-19-2013, 02:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Just because you put a new carb on it doesn't mean that that isn't the issue. I'd look at tuning the carb before anything.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

ignition coil, lifetime warranty.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yes raw gas did get ran in it but cylinder checked out ok cause caught it early.
With out the proper tools, you can not be 100% sure the cylinder didn't have some ware. Are there any scratchs in the cylinder ?

Do you have a way to check compression ?

Any thing over 100 psi and you should be good, anything over 90 psi and your cylinder would be supect. anything under 90 and you should replace the cylinder.

Quote:
Could it be ignition timing somehow?
Timing is fixed. Did you remove the flywheel when you took it apart, if you didn't, no worries. When you took the cylinder off, did you remove the coil from it ? Did you reset the air gap ? Did you check for spark when it died ? Was it a nice blue color ?

Quote:
I already put a new carb on it so thats definitly not the problem
Just because it came in a box doesn't mean it is set correctly....

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-19-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Timing as such comes from the coil but make sure oyou set the coil to flywheel correct..
Old 05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

ok ill have to check carb tomorrow. Im getting over 100 psi and coil is checking out good on gab but not sure my spark could be weak, ill have to check. Thanks for all the replies. This stuff is pretty easy for me usually but this one has really stumped me.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ever once in a while i get a unit that everything measures correct but I have problems. That compression should be enough. If this a relative new unit the transfer ports inthe cyclinder should be okay.......and crank seals are okay?