Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen three dead ones lately while mowing. i don't think i did it. i think it's a cat, killing for fun
Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Just something to post....

How's everyone's season going?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It still seems like a good year. Referrals are back on track again in a way they haven't been since 2008. April and into early May have been strangely cool which is a good thing since we've been mostly dry here for a few weeks.

May and June are historically the wettest months of the year so if there hope for some drought busting for Lake Travis and the Edwards Aquifer it's likely to come in the next five weeks. We are so past due for a rain event from hell that it's just ridiculous. We'd kill here to get the flooding Houston had recently.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-19-2013, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

going rate

What is the going rate in Austin for a crew leader and general laborer for a lawn maintenance crew. My son and his mom are relocating to Austin so she can finish up some school and I was just curious about what everyone pays their guys down in Austin. Salary or by the hour.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancedLawn10 View Post
What is the going rate in Austin for a crew leader and general laborer for a lawn maintenance crew. My son and his mom are relocating to Austin so she can finish up some school and I was just curious about what everyone pays their guys down in Austin. Salary or by the hour.
My crew members get $11 & OT. One crew member made almost $28K last year. My foremen just got a raise and gets $13 & OT and could make $36K.

I had let my foremen go at one point and he worked GreenScapes anf they paid $10 an hour and from what he said he was the only driver that actually had a license.

I think when it became almost (and I do mean almost) impossible to renew licenses for guys without papers a lot of companies kept using their their guy and hoped for the best. I heard from another guy that Weigelt Enterprises also has some guys with no license. Weigelt has multiple locations and about 100 employees.

I know one of their sales guys Chad Denman who used to run Denman Landscapes before his partner (Ryan Towns) got tired of how poorly the company was being run and started his own company.

Ryan did more in sales his first year then Chad did after being in business for over five years. When the economy tanked Denman paid the price for poor management and ran out of work. They should have had enough work from referrals and prior clients to survive but Chad was so focused on the flood of new clients when things were good that he burned bridges left and right. Denman tried to get into maintenance but I think that was a total flop since you have to really give your customers a high level of care to have any chance to make it.

There is another guy named Javier who does subcontract work for multiple companies like my friend Ryan and other like Utz and he doesn't even have a license. He got an international drivers license but they are only valid in conjunction with a drivers license from another country. His Mexico license is expired but he got a fake one and apparently the U.S. and Mexico don't share license database info so when he has gotten stopped the police have not realized things were awry.

I highly suspect there are other working this loophole as well. My Foremen's license was renewed early last year but it took some extreme luck on his part. It looks like pretty soon all the guys who couldn't renew their licenses will be able to do it again which will make a lot of companies legal again.

With all the guys on here someone else must have some interesting behind the scenes info about other companies.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You other San Antonio thru Austin area guys hopefully are loving this surprise rain event. I was really bummed the storm with tornado's only put down sprinkles in Buda and nothing more. It looks SA has been the bulls eye for the heavy rain at 7" and still going. I wish the 4" that fell in central Austin and the airport had fallen further west in the Lake Travis basin. Rain baby rain! Bring it on!

Old 06-17-2013, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Rain, rain, rain....
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope Landscaping View Post
Rain, rain, rain....
i hear you Aaron. it's been challenging this year, but i am not complaining.

grass is growing FAST around here, isn't it?

i've had to work a few Saturdays this year to catch up, but that's okay.

would rather have the rain and weeds, then the death sun of august and drought

or course for me, raining on monday doesn't put me behind, as my 34 accts don't keep me busy 8 hours a day/5 days a week... only mowing about 26 or 27 a week at the moment (not all are weekly clients).

rain on thurs or friday hurts, but i will still take it over august
Old 06-19-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will take the rain over drought any day in June, July and August
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
i hear you Aaron. it's been challenging this year, but i am not complaining.

grass is growing FAST around here, isn't it?

i've had to work a few Saturdays this year to catch up, but that's okay.

would rather have the rain and weeds, then the death sun of august and drought

or course for me, raining on monday doesn't put me behind, as my 34 accts don't keep me busy 8 hours a day/5 days a week... only mowing about 26 or 27 a week at the moment (not all are weekly clients).

rain on thurs or friday hurts, but i will still take it over august
I'm right there with ya, no complaining.