Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Working to much?

I've been extremely busy this spring maybe because of the late start this year. We have been very busy this year, lot's of nice jobs etc. I have been working 7 days a week ususally 12-15 hr days trying to keep my customers happy. About 2 weeks ago I've noticed my body dragging a little more and more. This week I have been very sluggish and tired. Friday half way through the day I about passed out on the job with flu like symptoms. Had to leave my crew on the job to finish for the day. Went home and slept 19hrs straight. Now I feel great again. Moral of this story guys try to take alittle time off even if your real busy, your body can only take so much. Back to work tomorrow!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can definitely relate. I had a sleep marathon today (off and on). It seems like everyone is like spring chickens around here (neighborhood), and I just wanted to lay low. It's the opposite of everyone who's been working indoors all week. There are alot of things that needed attention around the house, and i could have done one or two yards this morning, but i forced myself to rest, and feel much better. It was a great saturday.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've been there done that. When starting out I worked my full time job plus this. My full time job was 12 hours or more 12 days on 2 off. I don't remember much those years besides the job and work I got for the biz. Plus help dad run the farm. I finally took on too much work one winter and quit the day job and haven't looked back since. I look back now and see how dumb it was. Plus its not safe working 48 hours or more on no sleep.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've always worked an office job 40 hrs and then leave the office in the early to mid-afternoon for this, and always work Saturday and Sunday. This time of year it's 40-50 hours/wk for lawn care. The hours don't bother me at all. What gets to me, and it happens almost every year, is the heat during the hottest part of summer. It seems I push myself just over the line just one time too often and I get fatigued and can't seem to recover all my energy for the rest of the year.

Last year my son started helping me with just a couple of lawns a day, 3 days a week or so and it makes a huge difference. Even with the heatwave last year it seem like I sailed right through.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I remember a period where i couldn't recover. I think i'll try to start earlier and end earlier, and maybe even spread things out more. I don't see the point in working in peak heat.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't get any better when you get older. Im still recovering from the slow winter and need to store up some dollars for next winter.

The problem Ive been having is winding down in the evining. Ive been getting in late and I although Im completely worn out, I just cant seem to unwind and get relaxed.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last year was so slow and now I am mowing 3 yards today Sunday. 2 days of rain predicted stating this afternoon. I have to finish 2 City abandoned properties. The bill is dew Monday and need to complete the list of 27 that I have completed in the last 2 weeks.

I have gain weigh last winter like usual and now I am getting a workout.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm up to 35 properties now (I think 40 will be my max). I work 4-5 hours a day 4 days a week. I spend about $100 on gas a week. Other than a twisted knee I couldn't be happier. Easy job. Easy life.

Don't kill yourselves, guys. It ain't worth it. I know some of you are killing yourselves to pay for your employees. You could downsize, work a lot less, and still bring home the same money....but now you're stuck (or you think you're stuck). I feel bad for you if this is the case.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-19-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I'm up to 35 properties now (I think 40 will be my max). I work 4-5 hours a day 4 days a week. I spend about $100 on gas a week. Other than a twisted knee I couldn't be happier. Easy job. Easy life.

Don't kill yourselves, guys. It ain't worth it. I know some of you are killing yourselves to pay for your employees. You could downsize, work a lot less, and still bring home the same money....but now you're stuck (or you think you're stuck). I feel bad for you if this is the case.
You're right, I'm going in tomorrow and firing everyone and going solo

Working on your schedule, to make my salary and recover overhead I would need to bill at a MINIMUM of $125 an hour

I feel bad for the guy who doesn't work more than 20 hours a week
Old 05-19-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya! Worked a full week of cutting Resi's and Commercial then dropped 225 yards of mulch yesterday! Then on top of that worked until 11 today cutting a few other Commercial places. Finally starting to relax!