Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2013, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoverma View Post
I am finishing my turf grass science degree right now and can say that on the technical side of it my degree is well worth it but I feel at times that for what I deal with most of the time I am over educated, I would much rather have it tht way tho. My wife has a management and accounting degrees and I can say that as we r growing those come into play much more than mine. But it is very expensive and extremely hard to run a biz n go to school full time. Hope this helps
When you have a degree in turf/hort/landscape and put your knowledge to work and then down the road hire employees with those same degrees, you'll be a step above the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say no but I am sure it comes in handy, which is why I am currently working on my Associates degree in horticulture. I may not NEED it, but I am sure it will come in handy many times throughout my career
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my opinion on education vs. field work, etc...

But I'm more concerned with what the potential customer thinks. Do you think having a degree/certifications is more appealing to the customer?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrus2 View Post
If you have no degree but you have experience on the field it balances out.
No it doesn't. If I had a nickel for every "school of life" contractor that didn't know their head from their ass .....
Old 05-19-2013, 05:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A degree is a foundation from which to build on, a degree alone means nothing, a degree with several years experience means your worth more than the guy without it.Problem is, you can't go get a degree every time your forced to change careers.

Last edited by cpllawncare; 05-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have bs major in financing and bus admin. Yes it is good to have. Does it relate to landscape, spraying, mowing -no not really. I can design some great landscapes but you need clients. You need to be personal with people. Once you have it, no one can take it from you. Bottom line I would rather have experienced employees than those with multiple degrees.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 3 degrees turf science, horticulture, turf maintenance. I'm glad I got them but the degree is only a piece of paper. My knowledge from what I learned is what I'm proud of and find usefull. I still go to a lot of one day seminars and re learn or learn new stuff. I feel there just as good but would take a lot longer to learn as much. See if community collage has a green program. You can go at night.
Also ill say this, 3 friends graduated when I did. We all started the same time. One had dads money the other 2 and me where on our own. Daddy's money made it 9 months. The other two are still in the business one had a guy buy in and they are doing okay. Probably 50 high end accounts but by no means are making a killing. The other is also doing okay but still not great. Then there's me who they hit up for work and Equitment and ask why I'm so much "bigger" (Which you'll learn doesn't always mean more money. Got to feed the beast). It's simple we all know the same answers to each question we all do good work but they have zero personality. It's like talking to a board. They can't sell to save there life. There is other variables to but main thing is there presentation.
I guess in short knowledge I great and makes a huge difference but It won't make you successful.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meets1 View Post
I have bs major in financing and bus admin. Yes it is good to have. Does it relate to landscape, spraying, mowing -no not really. I can design some great landscapes but you need clients. You need to be personal with people. Once you have it, no one can take it from you. Bottom line I would rather have experienced employees than those with multiple degrees.
Same here! I just want to sell work and keep my guys busy making money for THEM AND ME! If you can sell you can make money, and you don't need a degree to do thatm, know and control your cost of doing business and sell sell sell.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

no. success is determined by hard work, experience, persistence and luck and then more hard work. knowledge is helpful
Old 08-22-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I know PA now is starting to require some licensure for landscaping - and you need either to be grandfathered in, or have a degree. So for the new guys - they have to have it... I'm under the radar, thank gd, bc I do design only (no manual labor), but I'm considering doing an online program or something. My field will probably be next!

Tags
lawns landscaping