Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Myk Myk is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 115
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL!!!! Just a heads up, I got a '12 x series with the same kholer engine. From day one engine had been using oil to the point every 50 hours had to add half a quart. 240 hours into it and was fed up took into the dealer kholer looked at it and replaced the engine. Now into '13 season and guess what still using oil, I thought I was doing something wrong. Talked to the service department and found out that they sold two of those engines one being mine and have replaced both mine and the other persons engine, same reason..... Love the mower its a tank but something is wrong with the Kholer 980CC or 999CC... I hope they have fixed the problem. Good luck with the mower.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Myk Myk is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
Today I ran through the initial tank of gas.

I was a little surprised. I was watching the gauge and when the last bar disappeared, the red light came on (LOW FUEL). I was able to finish, but was constantly worried I'd run it dry. I was only able to squeeze in that 9.49 gallons. Is is common on these newer Lazers to have the LOW FUEL light come on with 2.5 gallons remaining?
Fuel gage on those things are hit and miss. Some times I can start a yard on a full tank then in the middle tank is on quarter of a tank... I've ran two hours with the low fuel light on went to the gas station filled up 8 gallons on a 12 gallon tank. Not the best fuel gage in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 PM
mtmower's Avatar
mtmower mtmower is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Western Montana
Posts: 1,108
Myk, How many hours do you have on your machines?

That's some rough oil usage! Had to be some poor QC on clearances or a batch of bad woppershafts came through or something. Since the engine replacement hows the oil usage now on the new one?
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR OIL LEVEL!!!! Just a heads up, I got a '12 x series with the same kholer engine. From day one engine had been using oil to the point every 50 hours had to add half a quart. 240 hours into it and was fed up took into the dealer kholer looked at it and replaced the engine. Now into '13 season and guess what still using oil, I thought I was doing something wrong. Talked to the service department and found out that they sold two of those engines one being mine and have replaced both mine and the other persons engine, same reason..... Love the mower its a tank but something is wrong with the Kholer 980CC or 999CC... I hope they have fixed the problem. Good luck with the mower.
1/2 qt in 50 hrs is very acceptable by Kohler's standards (not mine), I just talked with Exmark last week and was told they were seeing oil usage during the break-in period, whatever that period may be I don't know.

I have been told by Kohler engineers at their factory more than once, that 1 oz per hr oil consumption on their air cooled engines was acceptable. I find this hard to believe, 1 oz per hr would have put your engine at 50 ozs, or 1.56 qt in 50 hrs, that is a poorly built engine by tolerance standards in my mind, and I've owned many Kohler engines.

I have found through the years if a engine begins using oil from day one, it will continue using oil, maybe to a lesser degree, but a certain amount of oil will be added between changes.

Engineers will tell you that burning a small amount of oil in an a/c engine is part of the cooling equation, how small that amount may be, I have no idea. I've owned Kohler engines of which I may add a few ounces between changes, but I've also owned the same engine where no oil may be added. This so-called cooling part of the equation does not seem to hold true where all a/c engines are concerned.

I'm honestly very surprised Kohler would OK a dealer engine swat with that small amount of oil consumption, yes, I am really "extremely" surprised. I've had their engineers make the statement, "we will not get into a warranty claim situation until a usage of 2 oz per hr for an extended period can be documented." With this statement, I'm not sure if the people were just stating their thoughts, or if in fact that was company policy. As with your engine swap, if this is company policy, it was not adhered to. I think in your case this may have to do with a good dealer, distributor, manufacturer, working relationship.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Myk Myk is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Myk, How many hours do you have on your machines?

That's some rough oil usage! Had to be some poor QC on clearances or a batch of bad woppershafts came through or something. Since the engine replacement hows the oil usage now on the new one?
I got 420 total hours on it now, about 150 hours on the new engine. Still is dropping my oil level from full to the add mark in 50 hours. We are trying to see If maybe It has been over filled and the dip stick is off on reading the actual oil level ( I know sounds weird ) just watching it real close to see if it drops past the add line. It came due for a oil change last Friday so we shall see if it drops anymore is so, looks like another engine.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Myk Myk is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
1/2 qt in 50 hrs is very acceptable by Kohler's standards (not mine), I just talked with Exmark last week and was told they were seeing oil usage during the break-in period, whatever that period may be I don't know.

I have been told by Kohler engineers at their factory more than once, that 1 oz per hr oil consumption on their air cooled engines was acceptable. I find this hard to believe, 1 oz per hr would have put your engine at 50 ozs, or 1.56 qt in 50 hrs, that is a poorly built engine by tolerance standards in my mind, and I've owned many Kohler engines.

I have found through the years if a engine begins using oil from day one, it will continue using oil, maybe to a lesser degree, but a certain amount of oil will be added between changes.

Engineers will tell you that burning a small amount of oil in an a/c engine is part of the cooling equation, how small that amount may be, I have no idea. I've owned Kohler engines of which I may add a few ounces between changes, but I've also owned the same engine where no oil may be added. This so-called cooling part of the equation does not seem to hold true where all a/c engines are concerned.

I'm honestly very surprised Kohler would OK a dealer engine swat with that small amount of oil consumption, yes, I am really "extremely" surprised. I've had their engineers make the statement, "we will not get into a warranty claim situation until a usage of 2 oz per hr for an extended period can be documented." With this statement, I'm not sure if the people were just stating their thoughts, or if in fact that was company policy. As with your engine swap, if this is company policy, it was not adhered to. I think in your case this may have to do with a good dealer, distributor, manufacturer, working relationship.
This is my 4th Exmark with a Kohler engine and this one I've had problems with. Other three are great not a big oil useage like this new one. Yeah I get the oil usage for breaking in a new engine but I think I'm past this point. I know at one point Kohler had them replaced the heads on the original eninge to see if that would fix it, when it didn't brought it back in the broke down the engine and so happen a kohler rep was coming by they looked at it and said replace it. What exactly was wrong with it I'm not sure. I just got a new engine so I wasn't to concern thinking maybe just had a lemon engine.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-19-2013, 08:57 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
This is my 4th Exmark with a Kohler engine and this one I've had problems with. Other three are great not a big oil useage like this new one. Yeah I get the oil usage for breaking in a new engine but I think I'm past this point. I know at one point Kohler had them replaced the heads on the original eninge to see if that would fix it, when it didn't brought it back in the broke down the engine and so happen a kohler rep was coming by they looked at it and said replace it. What exactly was wrong with it I'm not sure. I just got a new engine so I wasn't to concern thinking maybe just had a lemon engine.
This interest me, please keep us informed...How many hrs on the second engine, and is it the 38 or 34 giving you problems?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:02 AM
TLS's Avatar
TLS TLS is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: N&W Philadelphia Suburbs
Posts: 7,938
I'll post more later, but half a quart in 50 hours is perfectly acceptable to me. My old 28 EFI if I worked it REAL hard would use some by the 50hr mark, but it got changed then anyway.

Myk, what brand and weight oil are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,513
I am also interested in anyone's oil consumption stats.

This oil usage issue is why I am not a fan of Kohlers anymore. I grew up using them, and have always been very happy with them until the last few years. Now, I see more issues mentioned here, or hear of more issues at a dealership with Kohler than any other brand. My CV730 in my brand new Z720 used about one third of a quart in the first 8 hours, then after the oil change (recommended by Deere at 8 hours), it used a quart plus in the next 32 hours. Not accaeptable at all to me, and it is embarassing to pull up to a job with new or at least clean looking equipment and then start my Z and blow a cloud of smoke so large, that you could hide an average sized garage in it.

The last Kohler I had before that one would also use oil more than any of my Kawi's by a wide margin, but still nowhere near as much as on the 720.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM
GMLC's Avatar
GMLC GMLC is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,363
Im still not over Kohler's hydraulic lifter bleed down problem...I will never forget that clatter sound right before swallowing the valve. Although several dealers and factory reps have told me those days are long gone. My next mower will most likely have the EFI Kohler.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Page generated in 0.08500 seconds with 10 queries