Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It really pisses me off when I lose a customer because they can't be patient enough to wait their turn. They always say "You must be over extended, I'll find someone else. I'm considering putting pontoons on the mowers, LOL

Last edited by cpllawncare; 05-19-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Personally I despise holidays they are not enjoyable as a landscaper they just up the stress levels. So last week with Mothers Day coming up we mow Wens-Fri and are doing about 200 accounts I am not certain the number my partner an I haven't had any time to go over our lists in a week or so. Anyways my first 2 days were total wash outs we did get to mow Friday but we were 2 days behind by then and I lost 2 hours to a starter on a mower deciding that would be a good day to die. Sat was also a total wash out and Sunday was of course Mothers Day so off limits. So the hit was huge I knew I was going to be when they changed the weather forecast on Tuesday. So I get to lose 4k plus in mowing and then as if that wasn't fun enough I get to deal with 2 weeks of growth this week cutting on the normal days. Or give up all side work which was promised and couldn't be missed by cutting 2 days earlier which while would make some happy but it would piss off the end of the week guys who would rather their lawns be a foot tall then get cut on Monday total no win situation.

So now we get to be greeted to a dozen dumb phone calls every night for the last 2 days are you coming? when? omg its tall! Yes it is and they all take longer now but thank you for calling and wasting my time with a call back its not like we wanted to sleep after back to back to back 12 hour days. I should have this sorted out by Saturday but I can't help but be pissed it picked a holiday weekend in the high growth month of May to give me 2 days of rain and a day of it on my overflow day with the 2nd overflow day being off limits. My guess is I will lose 1 or 2 accounts which sucks but I have picked up a dozen in the last week and a half the price of expanding I guess.
I know there's more than just being solo vs having employees in a situation like this but reading a post like this makes me glad I'm solo and keeps me solo.

I don't give in to the demands of clients anymore. if you hire me you hire how and when I do things as well. if you can't wait or don't want to wait find someone else. if you can't allow me to move your mowing day around from time to time due to weather find someone else.

I don't worry when weather hits. I just pick up where I left off as soon as I can. I've always stuck to my schedule PERIOD. if I loose a day or more to rain not just the mowing gets pushed back. EVERYTHING gets pushed back.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
It really pisses me off when I lose a customer because they can't be patient enough to wait their turn. They always say "You must be over extended, I'll find someone else. I'm considering putting pontoons on the mowers, LOL
I didn't get one done last week,I planned to do it yesterday but it rained and her yard is bowl shaped so it wont get cut for atleast a week. I may wind up loosing thet one.

One thing I do is take care of my better customers first. This year has and contuniues to be a scheduling nightmare
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh my god the ones at the end are Ugly. I can normally do 20-25 lawns a day on my crew but my numbers this week were 25 14 18 13 all were working till 8 pm accept for last night we called it it 7:15. My other crew finished, their lawns are easier and a lot smaller. I missed by 6, plus my own plus a neighbor who hasn't had a cut this season. In fact 2 of those 6 have yet to have had a single cut this season. Nothing like triple cutting or more. Of whats left I expect that to take about 12 man hours they are that bad. Iv been surprised one guy came up to me yesterday and said I know your backed up from last week I am glad to see you I don't know what I would do with out ya. But at the same time iv had 4 or 5 get rude on the phone on a message and start with ultimatums including one of the 6 I have left so I am debating kicking his ass to the curb. Had him for 7-8 years or more but now his lawn is thick and lush and way under priced for what is involved today. Always happens I improve the lawn and now the cut price no longer reflects the reality of the lawn.

But the one that has me livid was this old lady that is always delinquent on her bills she has a 1000 dollar balance at all times. It's typically March before she is even and she calls and says she will hire someone else if I can do my job. Funny I kind of recall a 200 dollar payment from you a few weeks back on a 1200 dollar bill have I not shown you enough kindness. Lucky for me my partner takes the calls I forget nothing and I am a lot quicker mentality than him and I would instinctively go for the kill the moment someone gave me that level of bs.

Ironically at the same time I got a old man calling and threatening me demanding I take him back. Course the answer is NO I sent out the contracts in Feb he ignored it and now he has got a lot of nerve thinking I want a 1 acre chem lawn that hasn't been cut once this season now.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you need to scale back just a bit.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Sounds like you need to scale back just a bit.
No kidding. I guess he's making good money, but it aint gonna matter when he has a heart attack at age 45.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm at a different stage than some is all. I want to add an employee but want to have work for them first. It's easy if you got 25 employees to add one its very difficult to add one when you have only 1 or 2. So I have no plans to scale back I plan to push into 225 lawn territory. So crew two is about to become a 3 man and take some of the pressure off me by taking 10-15 of my accounts.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I didn't get one done last week,I planned to do it yesterday but it rained and her yard is bowl shaped so it wont get cut for atleast a week. I may wind up loosing thet one.

One thing I do is take care of my better customers first. This year has and contuniues to be a scheduling nightmare
I personally stick to the schedule and the order I schedule them. no client takes precedent over another client ever for anything.

if one account would be unserviceable for say to much rain that one would get skipped and I'd move to the next not coming back until I finished out my remaining schedule.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your crazy for not going out on mothers day. I was going from 7-8

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I Admire kelly landscape-keep pushing. Never cuss the rain. Take the work when it comes and deal with it. I have an 80 acre school district we mow. A lot of scheduling, a lot of of working around "others" etc.