Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-19-2013, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cat D5k lgp vs Komatsu D39px-22, vs JD 650 J lgp

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase a blade in the next while. Going to purchase a wide pad, 6 way blade, cab, gps equipped . The reason I am looking at a blade this size is that I want to be able to move it on my 20 tonne float . The main job I have is pushing and leveling 9000 loads of engineered fill for a building lot . After this it will be used for fine grading jobs (hence the gps) I am hoping that this size will be big enough for knocking down 100-200 20 yard loads a day. I have ran all of these blades but just messing around at the yard. Any one with a good amount of seat time on one of these models have any input?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have spent quite a bit of time in J series Deeres and K series Cats. The J series Deere wins hands down, everything about them makes them a better dozer. Better balanced, smoother, faster, I like the cabs and controls better personally. Cat makes a better dozer from D6 and larger, IMO, but Deere has them smoked smaller than that. I've heard the newer Komatsu's aren't bad but I've never been a big Komatsu dozer fan. Most of the Komatsu dozers I ran were older so I can't speak for the current lineup.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 05-20-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be looking at these size machine D6N,D51PX,750J.More options as to the size jobs you can do and for the work your talking your like the extra performance.If you have a 20ton trailer then you should be able to handle moving the bigger machines.

I have run the D51 and really liked it and it has several nice options,also liked the 750J had good power.Can't say much about the D6K,but instead my choice there would be the D6N.Unless you working in really tight areas and lots of that type work. You would be glad you went bigger then smaller.

In the above size machines they are very capable machine still in tight area.

Also unless your looking at doing lots of 3D grading,and loaded with money then GPS is something that when priced your might want to think about.New your talking close to 100k for just the GPS equipment,not counting the machine.Other option is laser equipped.Can do 2D stuff at a third of the price of GPS.Good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice constructo. I actually began looking at a little bit larger machine class. Any experience with the d51 -22 machines with the rads in the back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be looking at 700. If you really have to you can look at the D51 and D6K. In either trim they each sit around 15 ton and can be thrown your tag. All 3 have near identically specs but the 700 is just built right. It's little dozer that thinks it a big dozer. Get a tractor that's machine control ready so it's there when it comes time for the shiny part. It's getting like Ag and autosteer where the prep packages are standard equipment on new stuff anyway.
THEY JUST QUIT HORSIN AROUND
Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here the D51PX i run at Midwest Fieldday i went to a couple years ago.It has the raidator in the back.You could set the shift pattern at different setting.Faster in reverse and slower in forward or turned around.could make it creep at full throttle for tight areas,or needing more power at slower speed.

You could also set it into a three gear setting like powershift Cat dozer.Lots of options in the settings.Cab was comfortable nicely laid out.Good power, and the six-way dozer was heavy built.Smooth ride and handled great.

This is coming from a Cat guy,but try to keep my mine free to different equipment.

The GPS system was Trimble,which i didn't like as good as the Topcon setup that was on the same site.

As far as the 700 J Deere i also run i didn't like it as good .I did like the 750J excellent power and it had about the same shift option as the D51.

Not sure how your setup for dealerships ,but that woruld have a baring here for me.Cat here is better for me.Good luck
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also as for the 700J the final drive plantery are inboard compared to the other three choice.Not as easy to work on as the the planterys being outboard.Just my thought on down the road.