Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-25-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Rich Convertible Mower / DR Versa Pro Z

Has anyone used one of these? They are the same mower, Rich manufactures them and sells them with the name Convertible Mower, DR sells them under the name Versa Pro Z.

I am strongly considering purchasing one. It seems like a great concept but I would like to hear what other people think of them first. This would be for commercial use.

If anyone has any info on these it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Member

ttt
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-26-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

I tried one at the EXPO one year. I didn't like it. From behind the mower the controls placed you too far behind the mower. From the seat you had to reach up and forward for the controls.

Have you tried one? It'll do what it says, I just wouldn't want to use it all day.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a newer machine? I know they have updated several things over the last few years but what do you experienced users think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-28-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone else have any info on these
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Any info would be appreciated
Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

DR Versa Pro Mower

I agree that there is a dearth of information regarding this mower...I am also intrigued by it...could take the place of my walk-behind and a rider...Power Equipment Plus in New Hampshire sells these and obviously have a bias but they would also answer many of your questions...they have been quite helpful
their phone # 1-800-550-8780...website http://www.powerequipmentplus.com/pr...27hp_Kohler_ES
Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought my second one from Rich Manufacturing. The ones from DR have consumer grade engines but everything else is the same. I love these mowers. I don't know what to say about them accept they are ingeniously designed, very tough, have great accessories, are more versatile than any other zero turn, are reasonably priced, and just plain work well. "Toro 455" must have tried one of the older versions, as the newer ones I find very ergonomic and well balanced (they did a complete redesign in 2006 making the unit more compact in walk behind mode). Plus the handle bars are adjustable to the driver. I had to adjust mine taller to suit me, I'm 6'3" 250lbs. I find it very comfortable even after a full 10 Hr. day. These machines work in every situation I have put them in, in my lawn care business. I mow a couple of very steep properties (like steep enough to scare a goat!)The steep stuff, under trees, pond banks, etc. are easy in walk behind mode. In ride on mode the convertible mower is as good or better then any other commercial zero turn out there. I mounted a winch to the front and a lifting point above the door in my enclosed trailer and use it to lift the front end up and service my deck. The "wheelbarrow" attachment is wonderful, I have the "brush deck " I use to mow overgrown properties and pasture(it can handle up to 2" saplings), and I am considering the snow blade to make my mower a four season machine. I flipped the mower over backwards once while trying to take it straight up a steep hill in walk behind mode. It flipped back onto the handlebar and rolled onto its side. I guy who works for me and I flipped it back over, I started it up and finished mowing the lawn. The mower wasn't hurt at all. They are built very well. At first I didn't like how the rear tires would spin when I tried to make sharp turns or turns on slopes etc. I added antifreeze to the back tires for weight and tire chains and haven't spun a tire since. I guy on another thread told me the deck wasn't as deep as some other commercial mowers, but I haven't had a problem processing grass unless it is very tall and overgrown, even then I run over it twice and its fine. My deck is 4.5" deep. I wont buy anything else. I am interested in the ventracs, but for the price difference I will stick with the Convertible's, they are great mowers. Also most of the parts are "off the shelf parts" that are easy to replace.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This is the best video of the mower in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIrIM...e_gdata_player
Old 05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Rich Mower

Thanks for the info...it was VERY useful....my major concern about the DR version was the engine.......I had gone to their site http://www.convertiblemower.com/ but in that it had a 2006 copyright I assumed it was out of date...apparently it isnt..I suppose one lingering concern would be service.

Tags
convertible , mower , zero turn , ztr