Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Stihl telescopic pole pruner comes undun!

Hello,
I have a Stihl HT-75 pole pruner. I recently re-powered it with a FS-110R trimmer power head.
Runs purrfict!
The Problem is, wanting More! trying to reach a little further than what is allowed, by telescoping it until it came apart.
I field stripped it!!! There are collars? springs and shafts to line up.
Wrong thing to do. Now I cannot get it back together properly. It will work, but will not retract all the way down.
Is there a downloadable manual out there to help assist in reassembly?
Any words of wisdom?
This is probably a simple fix, put it back together, problem is I cannot remember how it goes back together.
thanks in advance,
kenny.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Kenny...if solving a rubiks cube is easy for you...its a piece of cake...

The main thing you want to locate is the big rivet under the plastic covering of the outer tube..
That will tell you which direction the bearings go in...there are 2 vee grooves and a notch for the rivet on each of the sliding bearing..
They will only go 1 way...if you get them backwards they hangup on the rivet...
Inserting from the engine end...i believe it goes...spring...bushing...spring...bushing..short tube with bearing...snapring..
I usually push the parts in ..extending the shaft as i go..making sure the alum starshaft stays about a foot outside the tube you are feeding the parts into..
When you get the short tube on...tighten it....collapse the shaft in...install the snapring...
This lets you pull out the shaft and insert it into the clutchdrum...and slide on the engine..

Its a piece of cake...
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well if that's all there is too it you should be done in half a cup of coffee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a link to Stihl manuals, the HT 101 looks like it should help you out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Any words of wisdom?
Here we had a HT 75 and something else that was a Echo drive head but I don't remember what it was, it was a near clone of the HT 75. The Echo thing held up better then the Stihl, but it got caught in a tree one day and got bent out of shape, just to old to repair... The Stihl I rebuilt twice, same problem you have, then it fell out of a tree, cost to much to repair.

What I would recommend is some thing like this, either in a Tanaka or a Echo. It is much lighter and easier to handle.
Attached Images

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Hello,
I have a Stihl HT-75 pole pruner. I recently re-powered it with a FS-110R trimmer power head.
Runs purrfict!
The Problem is, wanting More! trying to reach a little further than what is allowed, by telescoping it until it came apart.
I field stripped it!!! There are collars? springs and shafts to line up.
Wrong thing to do. Now I cannot get it back together properly. It will work, but will not retract all the way down.
Is there a downloadable manual out there to help assist in reassembly?
Any words of wisdom?
This is probably a simple fix, put it back together, problem is I cannot remember how it goes back together.
thanks in advance,
kenny.
You get this back together yet?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I decided to post here on the drive home, covered in a silvery grease paste, blood blisters on my thumb and feeling totally defeated...................At this point i may give jack la lane a run for his money and make a blender out of it.
I am going to have to get a illustrated drawing to see how the rivets and bearings go in.
Slapper has it, he has experience, but I just can't make heads or tails out of it until I get the drawing.
Unfortunately Stihl will not make available this information available.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/online-catalogs/

"Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

One of my guys was using it and tried to fix it before I got there and I decided to jump right in and save the day by field stripping it all the way down.....????
In my haste, I cannot remember how the bearings go in, in relation to the rivets. The main rivet I believer Slapper was talking about is about halfway down the shaft. There are other rivets as well. There are pockets on the bearing shafts that look like a rivet sits in it.
I got the groove right with the bearing insertion, the top boom will not retract all the way.

The good news is that my dealer will help me with the technical drawings and when I get them I will post it.

I would have followed up but have been very busy, sorry about that!

Thanks you guys!!
kenny.

Last edited by captken; 05-19-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Here is a link to Stihl manuals, the HT 101 looks like it should help you out.....

Here we had a HT 75 and something else that was a Echo drive head but I don't remember what it was, it was a near clone of the HT 75. The Echo thing held up better then the Stihl, but it got caught in a tree one day and got bent out of shape, just to old to repair... The Stihl I rebuilt twice, same problem you have, then it fell out of a tree, cost to much to repair.

What I would recommend is some thing like this, either in a Tanaka or a Echo. It is much lighter and easier to handle.
Thanks breezemister! But where is the link? I have a Echo Power Pruner as well! both are good, the Stihl is lighter, but the Echo has the 4' extension option on top of what it came with that puts me at about 18? feet or so, little farther reach than the stihl.
The carb is bad on the Echo as of 6 or more years ago and just haven't got around to fixing it as I bought the Stihl instead. But I kept it!
This may be a good opporunity to have 2 good running saws when its over. I think I liked the Echo better, but can't remember...lol!

Last edited by captken; 05-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Thanks breezemister! But where is the link?

http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Downloads/Files/Stihl/

Here it is, don't know why or what I did that it wasn't up there

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I decided to post here on the drive home, covered in a silvery grease paste, blood blisters on my thumb and feeling totally defeated...................At this point i may give jack la lane a run for his money and make a blender out of it.
I am going to have to get a illustrated drawing to see how the rivets and bearings go in.
Slapper has it, he has experience, but I just can't make heads or tails out of it until I get the drawing.
Unfortunately Stihl will not make available this information available.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/online-catalogs/

"Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

One of my guys was using it and tried to fix it before I got there and I decided to jump right in and save the day by field stripping it all the way down.....????
In my haste, I cannot remember how the bearings go in, in relation to the rivets. The main rivet I believer Slapper was talking about is about halfway down the shaft. There are other rivets as well. There are pockets on the bearing shafts that look like a rivet sits in it.
I got the groove right with the bearing insertion, the top boom will not retract all the way.

The good news is that my dealer will help me with the technical drawings and when I get them I will post it.

I would have followed up but have been very busy, sorry about that!

Thanks you guys!!
kenny.
Kenny...i left out a step..
First...the extension tube goes in from the sawhead end...
You located the correct rivet..halfway down the tube under the plastic covering..
That is the only rivet you need to be concerned with...the outer tube also has 2 small triangle shaped ridges that run the length of the tube...you need not worry about which direction that the bushings go into the tube....because they have small slots for the ridges and a big slot for the rivet..
Position each bushing so that the big notch lines up with the rivet when it slides into the tube on the 2 ridges...
Insert the extension tube first...slide on the collar and tighten it...
Push the extension in far enough to insert the alum starshaft from the other end..
Install ....spring....bushing...spring....bushing...handletube...tighten handletube...snapring....
Hope this helps...
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Captken
I work on these on a regular basis. We've sold many. Some advice that was posted has a rather unique method of assembly. You do not have to remove any snap rings. You should defiantly not disturb the earless one. First, how far did you disassemble it? Is the extension tube is still assembled?