Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
captken's Avatar
captken captken is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: memphis tn/southaven ms.
Posts: 1,677
Stihl telescopic pole pruner comes undun!

Hello,
I have a Stihl HT-75 pole pruner. I recently re-powered it with a FS-110R trimmer power head.
Runs purrfict!
The Problem is, wanting More! trying to reach a little further than what is allowed, by telescoping it until it came apart.
I field stripped it!!! There are collars? springs and shafts to line up.
Wrong thing to do. Now I cannot get it back together properly. It will work, but will not retract all the way down.
Is there a downloadable manual out there to help assist in reassembly?
Any words of wisdom?
This is probably a simple fix, put it back together, problem is I cannot remember how it goes back together.
thanks in advance,
kenny.
__________________
"Thanks dad, you gave me courage, wisdom, honesty and strength. I will truly miss you, my friend."
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Kenny...if solving a rubiks cube is easy for you...its a piece of cake...

The main thing you want to locate is the big rivet under the plastic covering of the outer tube..
That will tell you which direction the bearings go in...there are 2 vee grooves and a notch for the rivet on each of the sliding bearing..
They will only go 1 way...if you get them backwards they hangup on the rivet...
Inserting from the engine end...i believe it goes...spring...bushing...spring...bushing..short tube with bearing...snapring..
I usually push the parts in ..extending the shaft as i go..making sure the alum starshaft stays about a foot outside the tube you are feeding the parts into..
When you get the short tube on...tighten it....collapse the shaft in...install the snapring...
This lets you pull out the shaft and insert it into the clutchdrum...and slide on the engine..

Its a piece of cake...
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,685
Well if that's all there is too it you should be done in half a cup of coffee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM
Breezmister's Avatar
Breezmister Breezmister is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,207
Here is a link to Stihl manuals, the HT 101 looks like it should help you out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Any words of wisdom?
Here we had a HT 75 and something else that was a Echo drive head but I don't remember what it was, it was a near clone of the HT 75. The Echo thing held up better then the Stihl, but it got caught in a tree one day and got bent out of shape, just to old to repair... The Stihl I rebuilt twice, same problem you have, then it fell out of a tree, cost to much to repair.

What I would recommend is some thing like this, either in a Tanaka or a Echo. It is much lighter and easier to handle.
Attached Images
     
__________________
.
Masters Degree in Thinking Out Side Of The Box,Graduate of the MacGyver Institute of Ingenuity

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
ricky86 ricky86 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Hello,
I have a Stihl HT-75 pole pruner. I recently re-powered it with a FS-110R trimmer power head.
Runs purrfict!
The Problem is, wanting More! trying to reach a little further than what is allowed, by telescoping it until it came apart.
I field stripped it!!! There are collars? springs and shafts to line up.
Wrong thing to do. Now I cannot get it back together properly. It will work, but will not retract all the way down.
Is there a downloadable manual out there to help assist in reassembly?
Any words of wisdom?
This is probably a simple fix, put it back together, problem is I cannot remember how it goes back together.
thanks in advance,
kenny.
You get this back together yet?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 AM
captken's Avatar
captken captken is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: memphis tn/southaven ms.
Posts: 1,677
I decided to post here on the drive home, covered in a silvery grease paste, blood blisters on my thumb and feeling totally defeated...................At this point i may give jack la lane a run for his money and make a blender out of it.
I am going to have to get a illustrated drawing to see how the rivets and bearings go in.
Slapper has it, he has experience, but I just can't make heads or tails out of it until I get the drawing.
Unfortunately Stihl will not make available this information available.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/online-catalogs/

"Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

One of my guys was using it and tried to fix it before I got there and I decided to jump right in and save the day by field stripping it all the way down.....????
In my haste, I cannot remember how the bearings go in, in relation to the rivets. The main rivet I believer Slapper was talking about is about halfway down the shaft. There are other rivets as well. There are pockets on the bearing shafts that look like a rivet sits in it.
I got the groove right with the bearing insertion, the top boom will not retract all the way.

The good news is that my dealer will help me with the technical drawings and when I get them I will post it.

I would have followed up but have been very busy, sorry about that!

Thanks you guys!!
kenny.
__________________
"Thanks dad, you gave me courage, wisdom, honesty and strength. I will truly miss you, my friend."

Last edited by captken; 05-19-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 AM
captken's Avatar
captken captken is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: memphis tn/southaven ms.
Posts: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezmister View Post
Here is a link to Stihl manuals, the HT 101 looks like it should help you out.....



Here we had a HT 75 and something else that was a Echo drive head but I don't remember what it was, it was a near clone of the HT 75. The Echo thing held up better then the Stihl, but it got caught in a tree one day and got bent out of shape, just to old to repair... The Stihl I rebuilt twice, same problem you have, then it fell out of a tree, cost to much to repair.

What I would recommend is some thing like this, either in a Tanaka or a Echo. It is much lighter and easier to handle.
Thanks breezemister! But where is the link? I have a Echo Power Pruner as well! both are good, the Stihl is lighter, but the Echo has the 4' extension option on top of what it came with that puts me at about 18? feet or so, little farther reach than the stihl.
The carb is bad on the Echo as of 6 or more years ago and just haven't got around to fixing it as I bought the Stihl instead. But I kept it!
This may be a good opporunity to have 2 good running saws when its over. I think I liked the Echo better, but can't remember...lol!
__________________
"Thanks dad, you gave me courage, wisdom, honesty and strength. I will truly miss you, my friend."

Last edited by captken; 05-19-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2013, 01:28 AM
Breezmister's Avatar
Breezmister Breezmister is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
Thanks breezemister! But where is the link?

http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Downloads/Files/Stihl/

Here it is, don't know why or what I did that it wasn't up there
__________________
.
Masters Degree in Thinking Out Side Of The Box,Graduate of the MacGyver Institute of Ingenuity

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 AM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by captken View Post
I decided to post here on the drive home, covered in a silvery grease paste, blood blisters on my thumb and feeling totally defeated...................At this point i may give jack la lane a run for his money and make a blender out of it.
I am going to have to get a illustrated drawing to see how the rivets and bearings go in.
Slapper has it, he has experience, but I just can't make heads or tails out of it until I get the drawing.
Unfortunately Stihl will not make available this information available.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/online-catalogs/

"Illustrated parts lists, technical updates, and workshop manuals are not available to the general public. They are available only to authorized STIHL Servicing Dealers."

One of my guys was using it and tried to fix it before I got there and I decided to jump right in and save the day by field stripping it all the way down.....????
In my haste, I cannot remember how the bearings go in, in relation to the rivets. The main rivet I believer Slapper was talking about is about halfway down the shaft. There are other rivets as well. There are pockets on the bearing shafts that look like a rivet sits in it.
I got the groove right with the bearing insertion, the top boom will not retract all the way.

The good news is that my dealer will help me with the technical drawings and when I get them I will post it.

I would have followed up but have been very busy, sorry about that!

Thanks you guys!!
kenny.
Kenny...i left out a step..
First...the extension tube goes in from the sawhead end...
You located the correct rivet..halfway down the tube under the plastic covering..
That is the only rivet you need to be concerned with...the outer tube also has 2 small triangle shaped ridges that run the length of the tube...you need not worry about which direction that the bushings go into the tube....because they have small slots for the ridges and a big slot for the rivet..
Position each bushing so that the big notch lines up with the rivet when it slides into the tube on the 2 ridges...
Insert the extension tube first...slide on the collar and tighten it...
Push the extension in far enough to insert the alum starshaft from the other end..
Install ....spring....bushing...spring....bushing...handletube...tighten handletube...snapring....
Hope this helps...
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
ricky86 ricky86 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Monmouth Cty N.J.
Posts: 1,275
Captken
I work on these on a regular basis. We've sold many. Some advice that was posted has a rather unique method of assembly. You do not have to remove any snap rings. You should defiantly not disturb the earless one. First, how far did you disassemble it? Is the extension tube is still assembled?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.07324 seconds with 10 queries