Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uponone605 View Post
I know im gona catch a lot of flack for this but u sir need to smoke a joint when u get home. Problem solved.
That's funny!

Im not all wound up over the business, just too tired to relax for whatever reason. We go real hard all day and some days theres not enough time to wind down.

I haven't smoked a joint <didn't inhale of coarse> since high school and that was 30 years ago for me.
I do have a few Beers in the afternoons.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A couple beers is how I wind down in the evenings. No "smoke" for me unless it's tobacco. I smoked myself ******ed during my early 20s til I realized it was having negative effects on me. Beer is good though. Haha
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
A couple beers is how I wind down in the evenings. No "smoke" for me unless it's tobacco. I smoked myself ******ed during my early 20s til I realized it was having negative effects on me. Beer is good though. Haha
Ya Beer is a good thing.

Is the realestate market still down in centural Ca. Ive been thinking to move to Visilia in a few years if the prices stay low.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

From what I've heard, it sounds like it is. I'm personally not in tune with that market though.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm about the same way, its my first year.. i work 2 10 hour days a week now. I can't wait to build up more days. My expenses are pretty low, first thing i did this spring was payed all my commercial auto and liability insurances outright for the year. No monthly payments on anything business related, everything is paid for. I pay for gas, fert and chems and repairs. I don't pay myself yet, i just save. My wife works and pays the bills, i work 2 days and watch my son the other days. It looks like I should gross 15k to 20k this year, sucks but i gotta say much better than i thought my first year would go.

My biggest problem is i do not eat enough during the day, i get fatigued faster because of this, eating and working in the heat just never sits well with me.. From the time i wake up at 7a.m. to the time i get home in the evening i usually eat about nothing. I drink alot of water though. though, I get more done since i don't take lunch. lol. I get to feeling wierd by the afternoon though. I'm also working with a badly torn rotator cuff, i got the right one fixed not to long ago.. but its just one of those things i gotta live with. I can't wait to get enough work to get a helper to help with stuff that hurts me the most, like hedge trimming. lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, but maybe he has no expenses etc. With my crew and expenses I have to work everyone on the crew 20hrs a week just to cover my expenses before I turn a profit. But everyone has a different agenda good for him! I wasn't killing myself to cover my expenses just trying to keep customers happy, that's allways my plan and hopefully a fat bank account someday
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i'm about the same way, its my first year.. i work 2 10 hour days a week now. I can't wait to build up more days. My expenses are pretty low, first thing i did this spring was payed all my commercial auto and liability insurances outright for the year. No monthly payments on anything business related, everything is paid for. I pay for gas, fert and chems and repairs. I don't pay myself yet, i just save. My wife works and pays the bills, i work 2 days and watch my son the other days. It looks like I should gross 15k to 20k this year, sucks but i gotta say much better than i thought my first year would go.

My biggest problem is i do not eat enough during the day, i get fatigued faster because of this, eating and working in the heat just never sits well with me.. From the time i wake up at 7a.m. to the time i get home in the evening i usually eat about nothing. I drink alot of water though. though, I get more done since i don't take lunch. lol. I get to feeling wierd by the afternoon though. I'm also working with a badly torn rotator cuff, i got the right one fixed not to long ago.. but its just one of those things i gotta live with. I can't wait to get enough work to get a helper to help with stuff that hurts me the most, like hedge trimming. lol.
I don't stop for lunch, either. I may eat a banana for breakfast if I'm lucky.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you guys need to be careful about not eating. especially as it gets hotter out there. that really raises the risk of you passing out on the job.

if you want you can put a sandwich or crackers or something in the cooler to eat on during the day.

you need to eat something. at least a snickers bar or some kind of snack in the afternoon. drink some gatorade too. you need electrolytes. water doesn't have that. i try to drink water and gatorade in the hotter months like july and august.

i always take the time to eat lunch. it's only 15-30min. you can go through a drive thru and just park and eat in like 15min and be on your way to the next job. you don't have to eat a full meal either. just eat something though. it really helps with the fatigue factor and it will keep you from getting that weak feeling.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I don't stop for lunch, either. I may eat a banana for breakfast if I'm lucky.
I eat a small breakfast, and never stop for lunch. If I ate lunch my day would be through. Eating while doing this kind of work would literally make me sick. Marathon runners don't stop for lunch.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I eat a small breakfast, and never stop for lunch. If I ate lunch my day would be through. Eating while doing this kind of work would literally make me sick. Marathon runners don't stop for lunch.
I've never stopped for lunch. Miraculously, I can't lose weight! Bourbon at night may have something to do with that.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 05-21-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I've had a lack of appetite this season due to the stress of trying to keep up. I've been drinking carnation instant breakfast in the morning and snacking on trail mix or small granola bars while driving to the next house. I've found small snacks work pretty well right now.