Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVL LLC View Post
I am 22 and I went to the stockbridge school at Umass Amherst and got my associates in landscape contracting and I definately would recommend a 2 year degree because it only takes two years as opposed to 4 and the fact that i went to school has landed me many accounts and shown people that im very serious about turf management/landscaping. I learned a ton but on the other hand I only had about 10 accounts going into college In these last 3.5 years of owning my landscaping business ive used many things that ive learned in college as well as telling future clients that I went to school for this so that eases peoples minds. alot of companies around me are stressing at least getting 2 years degrees in the industry for even grunt laborers so its just some food for thought. The 40,000 I spent on college will definately pay for itself and I thought it was important because if I didnt id have even more equipment and trucks in my fleet with the money I would have saved by not going. That's just my 2 cents
Now not to be snarky or throw around any hate, but are you sure that telling people that you went to school for this sort of thing has gotten you jobs? I mean people are usually very simple, and for what he wants to do at this point its rather simple aswell. Cut the grass and make it look good. Now if he came and told me that he wanted to learn all about horticulture and how to diagnose different soil conditions in order to set up both irrigation and fertilizer needs than thats another story, in which I feel schooling would be 100% necessary.

Thank you Armden&Son for pointing out what I/he feels he wants out of this business. Now can it develope into a different business as he ages and possibly goes in another direction? of course that is possible, but even then you can stilll go to college and get schooled up on such things, or even just go into the field and learn it just like you learn how to cut grass. Learn from somebody else and then go do it.

After reading all the info on what the program offers it really is things that are either worthless for his current goals, or can be learned through weekend classes. Maybe im not understanding it correctly but it truly is based for golf and sports fields, both of which he would not be working on.

PlowSite-SnowFakers