Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After reading threads like this, it's a wonder tall grass ever gets cut.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No kidding. It's just grass for Pete's sake. Explain to the HO that it won't look perfect the first few times it gets cut until it's back into shape, fire up the mower and have at it.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

^ I know right

With the right mower,(190+cc and a sharp blade) the cutting isn't the problem, its disposing of the clippings. If its a foot tall, its gonna look horrible unless you bag it, or go over it 876423957849675 times. Id probably charge around 100 or so to cut it plus 20 for dump fees if I had to dispose of the clippings.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I keep my old 21" push mower for these situations use it about once a year but I'd rather hit something I can't see with it then with my daily user. Always has a sharp blade always ready to go just throw it in the trailer hit it once with that take it onto a tarp real quick and then hit it again charge double I can dump for free within .5 mile of my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
I keep my old 21" push mower for these situations use it about once a year but I'd rather hit something I can't see with it then with my daily user. Always has a sharp blade always ready to go just throw it in the trailer hit it once with that take it onto a tarp real quick and then hit it again charge double I can dump for free within .5 mile of my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes and no. Generally a 21" has the blade bolted straight to the motor. Not ideal for finding bricks and bottle jacks. Best to use a belt driven deck.

But according to the OP, it's only a foot tall. I cut knee high grass today without bagging. Double cut, criss cross pattern with a little perimeter clean up. Charged a little less than double. Customers appreciate not being gouged. Told him I'd like to do it again In 4-5 days, and probably go weekly from there. He signed, and paid for the first three.

Go cut some dang grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I won't argue that but I'd still rather break that 200$ Home Depot mower then my scag. If it breaks I toss it if my scag breaks I'm done for he day or atleast for a couple hours while I fix it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Last week we got to mow after a week of rain where we failed to finish the lawns by over 100 of them. You want to know what fun is do 190 lawns where nearly all of them are 2 weeks of growth and the biweeklys are 3 weeks in some cases. Then figure in how you can't charge extra for any of that since its not their fault you didn't finish the week before. So a new uncut lawn honestly wouldn't even phase me atm.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I can see what some of you guys are saying. I am a perfectionist with my cuts and when I lay down a mediocre cut because the lawn is way overgrown, it pains me. But then again, so what? Whack the crap down right?
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassGuerilla View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No kidding. It's just grass for Pete's sake. Explain to the HO that it won't look perfect the first few times it gets cut until it's back into shape, fire up the mower and have at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
^ I know right

With the right mower,(190+cc and a sharp blade) the cutting isn't the problem, its disposing of the clippings. If its a foot tall, its gonna look horrible unless you bag it, or go over it 876423957849675 times. Id probably charge around 100 or so to cut it plus 20 for dump fees if I had to dispose of the clippings.

I can't speak for the OP's lawn he's asking about, but the one I looked at today wasn't "just grass". Every single bed had "grass" to your waist and thorny weeds chest-high. The lawn was pretty bad, but it was really the easy part.

Go cut your "grass" - Have at it. I have better things to do than bust my a$$ (and potentially my equipment) for slightly more than regular price. That's just stupid and honestly, it's pretty much like lowballing. If everyone stopped catering to these lazy slobs by mowing for just a few dollars more, maybe they'd be more inclined to maintain their property. Screw that guy. He should be happy to pay $225 - it's still less than he's looking at in fines if he doesn't have it cut.

No matter. I didn't want it - I didn't get it. Some other fool can do it.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I guess I can see what some of you guys are saying. I am a perfectionist with my cuts and when I lay down a mediocre cut because the lawn is way overgrown, it pains me. But then again, so what? Whack the crap down right?

If you know your equipment and have expierence you can make it look great. I mowed a town home complex. Grass was damp and ground was wet. It was 8" tall and up to 12". I used nothing but a 52" vantage with a mulch kit. Yes a mulch kit. There's nothing left. They wanted it bagged. I said look at what I cut, there's nothing there and they should know better that I wouldn't leave mess.
Posted via Mobile Device