Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I can't speak for the OP's lawn he's asking about, but the one I looked at today wasn't "just grass". Every single bed had "grass" to your waist and thorny weeds chest-high. The lawn was pretty bad, but it was really the easy part.

Go cut your "grass" - Have at it. I have better things to do than bust my a$$ (and potentially my equipment) for slightly more than regular price. That's just stupid and honestly, it's pretty much like lowballing. If everyone stopped catering to these lazy slobs by mowing for just a few dollars more, maybe they'd be more inclined to maintain their property. Screw that guy. He should be happy to pay $225 - it's still less than he's looking at in fines if he doesn't have it cut.

No matter. I didn't want it - I didn't get it. Some other fool can do it.

Not sure what your problem is with my post, but if you're gona quote me, then quote all of what I said in my posts. I sure as heck never said to do it for "just a little more" than regular price. I just don't see making a big deal out of having to do a little extra work as long as you can get paid for it. Not every job is gonna be the way we like. If a guy is in this business to make a living, he better learn to take the good with the bad, and/or how to make a bad situation better. The OP's asked about 1' grass, not waist to chest high crap like you are bringing into the thread with your post. My post were in responce to the OP's, and I stand by them.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I can't speak for the OP's lawn he's asking about, but the one I looked at today wasn't "just grass". Every single bed had "grass" to your waist and thorny weeds chest-high. The lawn was pretty bad, but it was really the easy part.

Go cut your "grass" - Have at it. I have better things to do than bust my a$$ (and potentially my equipment) for slightly more than regular price. That's just stupid and honestly, it's pretty much like lowballing. If everyone stopped catering to these lazy slobs by mowing for just a few dollars more, maybe they'd be more inclined to maintain their property. Screw that guy. He should be happy to pay $225 - it's still less than he's looking at in fines if he doesn't have it cut.

I just shake my head at the guys who mow this crap for pennies. I was at the dealer the other day and met a guy and he was telling me what he was looking for. I told him I had turned down 20 yards like that this year. He gave me his number and I plugged it in my phone. Every phone call I get from a person who hasn't been cut this year will get passed his number. He doesn't "gouge" people either. I apparently gouge people because I feel I should get paid for my time. The $30 weekly cuts I do don't complain about getting gouged when I am in and out in 15 minutes. In fact, I pick up the neighbors and now do 4 $30 cuts in one hour and don't move the truck. Why should I not get paid more to walk the yard and look for landmines?

Something else, the people around here who are just now calling to get cut are doing so because they got a letter from the city. The city ordinance is get it cut within a week of getting the letter and the fine is $100 a day.

So knowing the fine is at minimum $100 why would anyone charge $20 to waste an hour cutting one property? I'm not a charity organization.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Quality Lawn & YS View Post
I guess I can see what some of you guys are saying. I am a perfectionist with my cuts and when I lay down a mediocre cut because the lawn is way overgrown, it pains me. But then again, so what? Whack the crap down right?
No, not what I said. Like I said, tell the HO that it will take a few cuts to get it back into shape. If they aren't on board with that, then tell them you'll have to charge appropriately to make it look good in one visit.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
I just shake my head at the guys who mow this crap for pennies. I was at the dealer the other day and met a guy and he was telling me what he was looking for. I told him I had turned down 20 yards like that this year. He gave me his number and I plugged it in my phone. Every phone call I get from a person who hasn't been cut this year will get passed his number. He doesn't "gouge" people either. I apparently gouge people because I feel I should get paid for my time. The $30 weekly cuts I do don't complain about getting gouged when I am in and out in 15 minutes. In fact, I pick up the neighbors and now do 4 $30 cuts in one hour and don't move the truck. Why should I not get paid more to walk the yard and look for landmines?

Something else, the people around here who are just now calling to get cut are doing so because they got a letter from the city. The city ordinance is get it cut within a week of getting the letter and the fine is $100 a day.

So knowing the fine is at minimum $100 why would anyone charge $20 to waste an hour cutting one property? I'm not a charity organization.
I don't get what you and oak nut are talking about. No one said cut it for the std price in this thread, nor for $20 .
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I don't get what you and oak nut are talking about. No one said cut it for the std price in this thread, nor for $20 .
Did you not read my post? I met a guy at the dealer who cuts yards as described for $20. I was adding anecdotal information to the thread.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Meh. None of this is worth getting upset over.

I just saw several flippant comments about it being "just grass" and tones that suggested that charging several weeks worth of cuts was simply "too much".

I don't feel it's too much. Slobs should not be rewarded for taking their good old time getting the grass cut. Pay up.
For me, it's personal since I'm watching my own neighborhood go this way.

Some customers will pay and some will not. I roll the dice and toss out a large figure. If they take it, I'm paid for my efforts. If not, I just carry on with my regular lawns without missing a beat.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_speedreed View Post
Did you not read my post? I met a guy at the dealer who cuts yards as described for $20. I was adding anecdotal information to the thread.
Yes I read you entire post. It just didn't read to me like you were saying the $20 was in relationship to the guy you met since you say anything about the $20 until you were wrapping up. I figured you were referring that price to doing lawns like the OP's since that was what this thread is all about.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Meh. None of this is worth getting upset over.

I just saw several flippant comments about it being "just grass" and tones that suggested that charging several weeks worth of cuts was simply "too much". I have no problem with charging more. I just don't automatically pass work because the grass is long like several posts suggested to do.
I don't feel it's too much. Slobs should not be rewarded for taking their good old time getting the grass cut. Pay up.
For me, it's personal since I'm watching my own neighborhood go this way.

Some customers will pay and some will not. I roll the dice and toss out a large figure. If they take it, I'm paid for my efforts. If not, I just carry on with my regular lawns without missing a beat.
I hear all that, and I'm with ya there. It seems my neighborhood is heading that way too.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 05-23-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk&lm View Post
I have a new potential customer who has not mowed his lawn for 3 weeks its about a foot tall. He says it take him about 30 mins to push mow when its not that high. What would you charge? It can only be mowed with a small push mower.
Quote:

30 minutes for a homeowner to normaly mow a yard with a homeowner model mower. At 3 times the normal height should be doable in one hour with a decent commercial mower. 100 + 20 for dump fees = 120. Considering that green waste goes in the 90 gallon bins that every house has, it doesn't cost me anything, it just gets distributed through out my route.

Im not sure what cutting for pennies is to you, but that sounds like an opportunity to make 100 bucks for an hours worth of work after you pay for gas and equipment depreciation.

Its slightly neglected grass, not some Jumanji yard you need armor and a brush cutter for.

3 weeks of growth is a "first cut"
Those flowers from super Mario Bros that spit fireballs at you and thorns waist high is a "serious clean up"
Old 05-23-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You know what would have helped avoid a lot of the "conflict" in this thread?

Photos.